First, to understand why anointing oil is used in the Bible, you must consider the context from which it was written. You have to think “Hebraically.”
The way the Hebrew culture thought and saw the world around them was much different than our view today.
How the Jewish people viewed their world…
- Concrete and action-oriented
- Truth was an experience, not just a theory or idea
- Actions reflected values
- They thought in terms of relationships, rather than a system of beliefs
An essential key to understanding their world was this: Everything they experienced and believed was related to God. There was no separation or distinction between the “physical” and “spiritual” life, unlike Greek theology—which has greatly impacted how the Western culture views God and the Bible.
Therefore, you can begin to understand why using spiritual tools, such as anointing oil, to break the yoke of sin in your life is so powerful.
God never intended humanity to think of Him or His instruction in terms of theories or ideas, but rather real, experiential, and applicable.
Now then, let’s take the spiritual tool of anointing oil and look at how we can practically experience God’s Word, breaking free from the yoke of sin and moving into new faith levels.
Anointing Oil | Breaking Free from Sin
Every family has generational curses. These curses are negative patterns of thinking, doing, feeling, and responding to certain situations similar to how your parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and so on responded.
Physical DNA is also passed down, and some of that DNA carries physical curses and illnesses.
These negative thought patterns and physical ailments can yoke you.
A yoke is what you are tied to and controlled by. The Egyptians yoked the Israelites. Egypt represented the land of bondage and slavery to sin.
- “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that you should not be their slaves; I have broken the bands of your yoke and made you walk upright.”—Leviticus 26:13
Therefore, if curses have come upon you and your family line, they can be a yoke that needs to be broken.
Understand the Yoke
The yoke went around an animal’s neck to control it. It was built specifically for the size of the animal. Satan has a fitted yoke for you too. And he hopes you never mature in your faith, because if you do, the yoke will not fit anymore.
This is why you will often feel as if you are being pulled back into your old ways of thinking after experiencing freedom.
Isaiah 10:27 says this…
- “It shall come to pass in that day that his burden will be taken away from your shoulder, and his yoke from your neck, and the yoke will be destroyed because of the anointing oil.”
What Satan Doesn’t Want… You to Outgrow Your Yoke
As you grow in your faith, your “neck”—where the yoke was placed to control you—gets fatter.
Now remember, Hebraic thinking is concrete. So, instead of Isaiah describing the breaking of the yoke in terms of ideas and concepts, he is explaining in concrete terms to God’s nation.
Isaiah is writing down what God said. This tells us God used concrete, practical terms, not conceptual ideas alone to communicate His plans. He wants you to know, experience, and take part in His Kingdom on earth, not just to think He has good ideas that cannot be implemented!
Isaiah is telling Israel that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is providing an Anointed One, who will break the yoke from their sin. And as they—and you—anoint themselves, it is a physical representation of spiritual freedom found in God alone.
Click HERE to discover how acting in accordance with God’s Word in the physical speaks to the spiritual realm.
Anointing Oil | Moving into New Levels of Faith
Satan does not want you to spiritually grow, which means he is attempting to keep you from accessing more of what God has for you. He does not want you to tap into new levels of faith.
How to Move into New Levels of Faith:
- Begin by Repenting.
Repenting simply means to turn back to God. Because family curses also create yokes, God’s Word reminds us that we must repent (return to God) for our sins and the sins of our ancestors (see Leviticus 26:40).
- Call on the Covenant.
When we return to Him and repent, we are calling upon the covenant relationship that we are in with Him. By remembering and speaking of the covenant, you are proclaiming God’s Word into the atmosphere.
Again, remember that the Hebrew people thought in terms of relationship, especially how experiences related to God. Therefore, God is asking us to recall our covenant relationship after we repent. When we draw near to Him, He draws near to us (see James 4:8).
- Use Anointing Oil.
After you have repented of sin, called upon the covenant in prayer and proclamation, use anointing oil to continue speaking and agreeing with God’s alive and active Word.
How to Anoint Yourself with Oil
Again, anointing yourself in this way is not about legalism, but an intentional seeking with your heart to step into the presence of God. If your spirit and soul are not in alignment with the Lord as you pray and use anointing oil, then it is merely a fruitless action.
1) Anoint your eye.
Where you focus is where you will go. The Holy Spirit will guide you, but your focus must be on Him and you must have a teachable heart.
- Agree with Psalm 32:8—“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.”
- Proclaim—“Lord, your eye sees the path you have laid for me. I will have a teachable heart so that your instruction is imparted to me, guiding my steps today.”
2) Anoint your forehead.
The forehead signifies your mind. God’s thoughts are higher than yours. Therefore, put on the mind of Christ.
- Agree with 1 Corinthians 2:16—“For ‘who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?’ But we have the mind of Christ.”
- Proclaim—“Lord, set my thoughts on things of you today. I put on my helmet of salvation and anoint my mind, recognizing and acknowledging I’ve been given the mind of Christ. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
3) Anoint your mouth.
The mouth signifies words you speak and the seeds they sow. Choose to sow seeds of life rather than death.
- Agree with Psalm 19:14—”Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.”
- Proclaim—“Lord, I recognize the words that I speak have power. Today, I will align my heart with yours so that my words are acceptable and pleasing to you.”
4) Anoint your ear.
The ear signifies obedience. When your ears are opened to hearing God’s voice, then you can obey.
- Agree with John 10: 27—“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.”
- Proclaim—“Lord I am your sheep and I can hear your voice and I will follow no another.”
5) Anoint your right thumb.
The right hand signifies the covenant. This is why you raise your right hand in court.
- Agree with Hebrews 12:22-24—“But you have come… to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things that that of Abel.”
- Proclaim—“Jesus, your blood speaks on my behalf in the Heavenly courts, rendering a verdict in my favor. I agree with what the blood has spoken about the covenant promises I have through you.”
6) Anoint your toe.
The feet signify authority. You have been given authority through Jesus and your feet are prepared with the Gospel.
- Agree with Luke 10:19—“Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.”
- Proclaim—“Lord, your authority empowers my feet to walk in your ways. You order my steps and prepare me to stand firm in your promises.”
Use anointing oil to experience God’s power and presence in your life. May you be blessed as you pull truth down from the books of Heaven (the spiritual realm) to earth (the physical realm).
Ready to grow into new levels of faith? Get your anointing oil HERE!