The spirit of rebellion is at work, attempting to cause division and destruction in this season. The spirit of rebellion is witchcraft, according to the Bible, and produces disobedience and death. This spirit hinders Believers everywhere from receiving blessings, power, favor, authority, health, and wealth necessary to fulfill their Kingdom calling and live a Spirit-led and equipped life.
When left unaddressed and “untreated,” the spirit of rebellion passes down the family line into subsequent generations. A generational curse is a result.
What is a Generational Curse?
Generational curses run through your family line as part of your spiritual DNA. They are the result of a sin structure that is common among family members. The effects of generational curses are destructive relationships such as divorce and abuse, addiction of various kinds, chronic illnesses, mental health issues such as anxiety and depression, financial distress such as poverty and lack.
You will often see these curses repetitively move from generation to generation. Sin opens doors for the curse to manifest.
Sadly, sin in family lines is all too common and rarely addressed. However, as Believers, we can enter the Courts of Heaven and battle according to God’s Word, coming out of agreement with generational curses and coming into agreement with the freedom Yeshua came to give us.
What is the Spirit of Rebellion?
As mentioned above, the spirit of rebellion produces death and destruction. It hinders Believers from receiving the vision of what God wants to do in their lives. The spirit of rebellion is really a spirit of disobedience. This evil spirit says, “God isn’t in charge. I am in charge.”
The spirit of rebellion is in our Adamic nature. It is in opposition to God’s authority, and therefore, we struggle to obey God.
How is the Spirit of Rebellion a Generational Curse?
Let’s take a look at 3 of these questions…
- Do I have a lack of passion for spiritual things?
- Do I battle excessive frustration?
- Do I doubt God’s goodness and faithfulness?
If these are daily issues that you battle, there is likely a generational curse upon you. The root cause of this generational curse is a spirit of rebellion. The Bible says this about the spirit of rebellion…
- “For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He also has rejected you from being king.”—1 Samuel 15:23
In other words, if you are operating out of a spirit of rebellion, which is walking in the flesh rather than the Spirit, you will…
- Be easily frustrated
- Lack vision and passion for your purpose
- Doubt God’s goodness and faithfulness
The spirit of rebellion is a generational curse because this issue goes all the way back to the Garden. Because of Adam and Eve’s rebellion in the Garden, it put a curse on every human being after them. It is our human nature, our sin nature, to operate out of the spirit of rebellion.
Unless we identify it in our lives and purposefully and intentionally take it to the heavenly courts and cancel it by the blood of Jesus, it will continue to fester in our lives. Then we will parent (either spiritually or physically) the next generation out of it, and the curse continues.
Click on the video above to watch and listen to Rabbi Curt Landry as he walks you through how to battle the spirit of rebellion.
How is the Spirit of Rebellion at Work in Our World Today?
Believers are in a battle against the spirit of rebellion that is operating in the global systems. The systems of this world do not want anyone standing for what God stands for. The systems that run by the spirit of rebellion are stubborn, they do not humble themselves and repent—that is they do not return to the Lord.
- “But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: ‘We ought to obey God rather than man.’”—Acts 5:29
We are at a crossroads. Will we stand with the Lord, fearing Him above men? Or will we come into agreement with the world systems that operate out of the spirit of rebellion?
The outcomes are written in the Word…
If you choose to fear God above man and walk in obedience, the blessings of God will overtake you (see Deuteronomy 28:1-14)…
- You will be blessed in the city and in the country
- The fruit of your body will be blessed
- The works of your hands will be blessed, and you will experience increase
- You will be blessed as you go through your day
- You will be blessed wherever you go
If you choose to operate out of a spirit of rebellion and disobey the voice of God, curses will have a cause to light (see Proverbs 26:2 and Deuteronomy 28:15-63)…
- There will be cursing, confusion, and rebuke in all you set your hand to do
- You will be destroyed and perish quickly
- Fevers, inflammation, scorching and mildew will pursue you
- There will be drought
- You will be defeated by your enemies
The good news is that the spirit of rebellion can lose its grip on you and your family line because of the blood of Jesus! You don’t have to walk in confusion, frustration, lack, doubt, and fear any longer. You can cut off the spirit of rebellion at its root and come into the peaceful presence of the Lord.
He invites you. He welcomes you. He wants you to cry out to Him and BELIEVE His Word. He wants you to know, see, and feel that you are more than a conqueror through Jesus!
How to Remove the Spirit of Rebellion in Your Life
- Make a choice. Lies are coming at you from every direction. Make a choice to pray and choose to obey the Word. Make a choice to be in the Word every day.
- Come into alignment. Exodus 20:3 commands that no other gods shall be before the one true God. The spirit of rebellion will always bring a proxy god. It can be money, pride, comfort, or our own families. Our God is a jealous God, and whatever is misaligned needs to come back into alignment with Him through repentance and prayer.
- Enter the Courts of Heaven and pray. Thus far, you’ve been able to identify the spirit of rebellion in your life (easily frustrated, lack of vision and purpose, and doubting God’s goodness). Now it is time to enter the Courts of Heaven and repent of the generational curse of rebellion.
Pray for the Spirit of Obedience to Replace the Spirit of Rebellion
Use this prayer as a guide as you cancel the generational curse of rebellion…
“Father God, in the name of Yeshua, I lift up the Lord's prayer in the Courts of Heaven.
I enter the room of atonement and cleanse myself with the blood of Yeshua from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. Thank you, Lord, for I am found in Christ.
“I put on the full armor of God: the belt of truth, the gospel of peace on my feet, the breastplate of righteousness, the helmet of salvation, the mind of the Lord, the sword of the Spirit, and the shield of faith that quenches every fiery dart. Your Word shall not come back void.
“I am a king and a priest; this is my identity in You. The prophet Samuel said, ‘We shall not rebel and remove our kingship and our priesthood, for Lord, we are kings and priests according to the order of Melchizedek.’
“Father God—my Father who is in Heaven—I declare in the mercy court that Your name is above every name. Lord, I ask for freedom today in my family line from that spirit of rebellion, which is witchcraft. Lord, I choose to forgive myself, to forgive my parents, my grandparents, and all in my family line, all the way back to the Garden, for coming into agreement with the spirit of rebellion.
“Lord, I come out of agreement. I identify it and repent of it, for me and my family. I forgive my family members who did not renounce it. Lord, I decree in the Courts of Heaven that this repentance, forgiveness, and renouncement be recorded in the books. I decree that the sin of rebellion in [insert your family name] be expunged in our heavenly books by the blood of Jesus. The rebellion that is in my DNA is removed. Father God, I ask that this sin is washed away and replaced with obedience, love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, self-control, long-suffering, wisdom, knowledge and understanding, and compassion.
“Thank you for freeing me from the spirit of rebellion! I pray this in Yeshua’s mighty name, Amen.”
The spirit of rebellion finds its roots in the Garden. Our Adamic nature wants to agree with the spirit of rebellion and operate out of a mindset that says, “God is not in charge. I am.”
This leads to curses being placed upon us and in our bloodlines. However, freedom from the spirit of rebellion is available to us!
We can come out of agreement with rebellion and into agreement with obedience. When we choose to stand on God’s Word, we will receive blessings. The battle isn’t easy, but it has already been won. You are more than a conqueror in Jesus.
Obey the Word.