“But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,”—1 Corinthians 12:7-8 (emphasis added)
As a Believer, you have access to the spiritual gift of the word of knowledge. Let’s look at the gift of the word of knowledge, its purpose, and how to activate it.
In 1 Corinthians 12, the apostle Paul lists nine gifts of the Spirit. Paul goes on to say that the Holy Spirit imparts gifts to Believers as He wills.
- “But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.”—1 Corinthians 12:11 (emphasis added)
First, we must understand that the Holy Spirit is our Counselor, distributing His gifts into our lives. This is part of our inheritance as Believers in Christ. Therefore, the Spirit guides you as you accept the power and authority you have been given through Christ.
What is the Word of Knowledge?
A word of knowledge is when God supernaturally imparts comprehension of a current or past situation to you that you would not otherwise know. The word of knowledge is one of the revelatory gifts and has been known to manifest with a sense of urgency.
There are several ways that a word of knowledge can manifest in Believers. This gift can manifest as a vision, dream, thought, voice, or feeling.
An Example of a Word of Knowledge in the Bible
A biblical example of the manifestation of the word of knowledge is the apostle Peter’s vision in Joppa.
- “The next day… Peter went up on the housetop to pray… he fell into a trance and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. And a voice came to him, ‘Rise, Peter; kill and eat.’
“But Peter said, ‘Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.’ And a voice spoke to him again the second time, ‘What God has cleansed you must not call common.’ This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.”—Acts 10:9-16
His vision was an impartation of knowledge. He began to comprehend a revelation that was released through Christ’s blood. While Peter ponders the vision, God imparts another word of knowledge to him through a voice…
- “While Peter thought about the vision, the Spirit said to him, ‘Behold, three men are seeking you. Arise therefore, go down and go with them, doubting nothing; for I have sent them.’”—Acts 10:19-20
Many Believers operate within a word of knowledge without even realizing it. If this sounds familiar, it could mean that you have the gift of a word of knowledge waiting to be released, stretching out the tent of God’s Kingdom.
What is the Purpose of the Word of Knowledge?
As with all spiritual gifts, the word of knowledge is meant to build up and edify the Body of Believers. However, God has blessed Believers with a word of knowledge for a couple of specific reasons within that purpose.
- To act as a witness within and outside the Body
- To act as a catalyst for intercessory prayer
If the Holy Spirit has imparted a word of knowledge to you, know that God has and will continue to equip you with all the spiritual tools necessary to carry out your spiritual assignment.
Does the Word of Knowledge Work with Other Gifts of the Spirit?
Yes. Spiritual gifts are often complemented by other gifts. You read in Romans 15:5-6 of God’s design that we are to work together as one for His glory. The same applies to the gifts of the Spirit; they work together for His glory and to build up His Kingdom.
- “Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus, that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”—Romans 15:5-6
Believers who desire to operate in the gifts of the Spirit can have confidence knowing God will distribute multiple gifts to those that steward them well.
How to Activate the Word of Knowledge
To carry out the work of the Holy Spirit, Believers must be willing to surrender to walking by the Spirit and not by the flesh. Therefore, we must align ourselves with the Word and our spiritual assignments. This is done through a deeper understanding of our identity and inheritance in Christ.
Ask the Spirit to reveal any roadblocks that may be standing in the way of you operating in a word of knowledge. Then begin to ACT…
- A- Apply: Apply the truths the Spirit reveals to you as you spend time in the Word and seek His presence daily. Repent for anything that He shows to stand in your way of moving into new levels of faith, such as doubt and unbelief.
- C- Change: Make the necessary changes in your life for your spiritual gift to manifest. Ask God to reveal His instruction and then obey the Word.
- T- Transform: Allow the Holy Spirit to transform your faith as you renew your mind. You can expect to receive more knowledge as you seek His ways. Through this transformation, God says all the nations will know He is Lord (Isaiah 37:20). Receive this truth today!
The word of knowledge is a spiritual gift given to Believers by the Holy Spirit. It is a supernatural knowledge that manifests as a vision, dream, thought, voice, or feeling. The word of knowledge is a revelatory gift and often works in unison with other gifts of the Spirit.
Like every spiritual gift, the word of knowledge is imparted to Believers so that the tent of God’s Kingdom extends and enlarges. This gift encourages action through intercessory prayer and serves as a witness of God’s eternal knowledge to the world.