Table of contents
As God’s children, we want be like our Heavenly Father.
We are created in His image… our best selves, therefore, have us echoing Him.
But how do we do that? What traits can be found in God? And how do our own compare?
Join us as we explore several of our God’s amazing characteristics and the beauty of being made in His image…
Understanding the Character of God
We have a wonderful, amazing, fantastic God. One who makes no mistakes and whose love is unconditional.
But what are the traits that make God so perfect? What should we therefore emulate?
Before we explore these, it is important to note that there is no way we can cover all of the beautiful aspects of God’s character here; it would take more than a lifetime to truly scratch even the surface. These listed here are simply a few aspects of our God’s character meant to remind us of who He is, and therefore, who we are in Him…
6 Aspects of God’s Character
“Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”—Matthew 5:48 (NIV)
Characteristics of God…
- He is LOVING
- “Our love for others is our grateful response to the love God first demonstrated to us.”—1 John 4:19 (TPT)
- “Those who are loved by God, let his love continually pour from you to one another, because God is love. Everyone who loves is fathered by God and experiences an intimate knowledge of him.”—1 John 4:7 (TPT)
- “…Now to the one who constantly loves us and has loosed us from our sins by his own blood, and to the one who has appointed us as a kingdom of priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and dominion throughout the eternity of eternities! Amen!”—Revelation 1:5-6 (TPT)
- “God, glorify your name! Yes, your name alone be glorified, not ours. For you are the one who loves us passionately, and you are faithful and true.”—Psalm 115:1 (TPT)
- He is GENEROUS
- “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”—James 1:5 (NIV)
- “And whenever his master returns, he will find that his servant has served him well. I promise you, the master will reward him generously and he will be placed as an overseer of everything he owns.”—Luke 12:43-44 (TPT)
- “For the Lord God is brighter than the brilliance of a sunrise! Wrapping himself around me like a shield, he is so generous with his gifts of grace and glory. Those who walk along his paths with integrity will never lack one thing they need, for he provides it all!”—Psalm 84:11 (TPT)
- “This generous God who supplies abundant seed for the farmer, which becomes bread for our meals, is even more extravagant toward you. First he supplies every need, plus more. Then he multiplies the seed as you sow it, so that the harvest of your generosity will grow.”—2 Corinthians 9:10 (TPT)
- He is MERCIFUL
- “Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.”—Luke 6:36 (NKJV)
- “This is why he had to be a man and take hold of our humanity in every way. He made us his brothers and sisters and became our merciful and faithful King-Priest before God; as the One who removed our sins to make us one with him.”—Hebrews 2:17 (TPT)
- “To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him.”—Daniel 9:9 (NKJV)
- He is GRACIOUS
- “Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, ‘The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.’”—Exodus 34:5-7 (NIV)
- “‘Please accept the present that was brought to you, for God has been gracious to me and I have all I need.’ And because Jacob insisted, Esau accepted it.”—Genesis 33:11 (NIV)
- “If you return to the Lord, then your fellow Israelites and your children will be shown compassion by their captors and will return to this land, for the Lord your God is gracious and compassionate. He will not turn his face from you if you return to him.”—2 Chronicles 30:9 (NIV)
- “They refused to obey, and they were not mindful of Your wonders that You did among them. But they hardened their necks, and in their rebellion they appointed a leader to return to their bondage. But You are God, ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to anger, abundant in kindness, and did not forsake them.”—Nehemiah 9:17 (NKJV)
- “He has made His wonderful works to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.”—Psalm 111:4 (NKJV)
- He is STRONG
- “Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle.”—Psalm 24:8 (NIV)
- “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.”—Proverbs 18:10 (NKJV)
- “Yahweh, you’re the bedrock beneath my feet, my faith-fortress, my wonderful deliverer, my God, my rock of rescue where none can reach me. You’re the shield around me, the mighty power that saves me, and my high place.”—Psalm 18:2 (TPT)
- “For You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy.”—Psalm 61:3 (NKJV)
- “Behold, the Lord God shall come with a strong hand, and His arm shall rule for Him; behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him.”—Isaiah 40:10 (NKJV)
- He is JUST
- “Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!”—Isaiah 30:18 (NIV)
- “Declare what is to be and state your case. Go ahead and take counsel together. Who knew all about this and declared it long ago? Was it not I, Yahweh? There is no god apart from me. I am a righteous God and a Savior. There is no one you can compare to me.”—Isaiah 45:21 (TPT)
- “Then he said, ‘The God of our fathers has chosen you that you should know His will, and see the Just One, and hear the voice of His mouth. For you will be His witness to all men of what you have seen and heard.’”—Acts 22:14-15 (NKJV)
- “Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who foretold the coming of the Just One, of whom you now have become the betrayers and murderers, who have received the law by the direction of angels and have not kept it.”—Acts 7:52-53 (NKJV)
- “What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all!”—Romans 9:14 (NIV)
- “God, your righteousness is revealed when you judge. Because of the strength of your forgiveness, your anger does not break out every day.”—Psalm 7:11 (TPT)
The Importance of Looking at Godly Character
From these select characteristics of God we discover not only what an amazing God we have… but also the great honor of being made in His image. Of not being randomly assigned to Him as His children, but being crafted and chosen to be His very own! This is a beautiful gift and one that we should cherish by following after God with passion; walking not as the world does, but instead in the footfalls of our Father!Be sure to join us in “A Godly Character | Part 2” to explore additional characteristics of God and how we are able to emulate them through God!
Be sure to join us in “A Godly Character | Part 2” to explore additional characteristics of God and how we are able to emulate them through God!