The conversation surrounding spiritual gifts can stir up many emotions for Believers. You may even find yourself confused or doubtful. However, as we know, God is not the author of confusion and wants you to be confident in your inheritance.
Instead of falling victim to doubt and insecurity, we want you to take a new approach. Decide today to desire spiritual gifts. Use your gifts to further God’s Kingdom purpose today.
Have you wondered if you have spiritual gifts? The answer is yes! You not only have spiritual gifts that are waiting to be discovered, but also practiced.
God’s Word reminds us that no one is exempt from the gifts of the Spirit. If you are a follower of Jesus Christ (or Yeshua HaMashiach in Hebrew), you have a Kingdom purpose. The Holy Spirit gives you these spiritual gifts to fulfill it.
“But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:”—1 Corinthians 12:7
Deciphering Your Spiritual Gifts
The truth is, there is no legalistic formula to follow to decipher your spiritual gifts. However, there are Kingdom principles to follow that will guide you through the process…
- Prayer: Prayer is always the starting point. Make direct praise and petition to God, asking Him to reveal what spiritual gifts you have been anointed with. A prayer can be as simple as…
“Father God, I praise Your mighty name. I come before You with full faith that You have entrusted me with a spiritual gift. I receive it! Holy Spirit, reveal my gift to me. Provide me with opportunities to practice my gift among the people and community that You have placed in my path. Father God, I receive Your strength to accomplish all that You put before me. I decree alignment with Your purpose for me going forward. In Yeshua’s name, amen.”
- Seek wise counsel: It is always wise to seek counsel regarding your spiritual gifts. Consider where you are already serving and sowing, and ask a spiritual leader to pray for you and speak God’s truth into your life. Ask those who are around you where they see you prospering in the spirit. If you hear the same words repeated, God could be pointing you to your spiritual gifts.
- Be teachable and open-minded: Don’t limit yourself to your own assumptions or desires. Rather, allow your heart to be teachable and open to what is being placed before you. Quite often, God releases spiritual gifts to move Believers into new levels of faith. Embrace those opportunities to rely on the strength of the Spirit and to grow your faith in the Lord.
5 Reasons to Know Your Spiritual Gifts
- Spiritual gifts are part of our inheritance. When we declare victory in Christ as our Savior, we are grafted into the Hebraic roots as God’s children, and given the gift of the Holy Spirit as a seal of that adoption.
“Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.”—2 Corinthians 1:21-22
- Spiritual gifts strengthen your spiritual relationships. Strong relationships require sowing good seed into them. Your relationship with God is no different. This is a picture of a covenant. It is not about salvation, it’s about covenant relationship—what is yours is mine and what is mine is yours. Your relationship with God is what should rule in your life—aligning with your spiritual gift positions you to give God glory.
“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”—Matthew 6:33 (emphasis added)
- Spiritual gifts empower your acts of service. When you serve through your spiritual gifts, you are no longer relying on your human strength. You serve victoriously and can move mountains when you seek the power and the authority of the Spirit.
“Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.”—Ephesians 3:20-21 (emphasis added)
- Spiritual gifts align you with your Kingdom purpose for your life. It is much easier to get where you are going when you follow the directions. This is also true with the anointing that God has placed on you. When you know where you are gifted, you are better equipped to live out His purpose for your life.
“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.”—Jeremiah 29:11-12
- Spiritual gifts bless other Believers. Understand this, your spiritual gifts are not about you! Spiritual gifts are given so that you may strengthen others. As a byproduct, you will be blessed, but it is first about glorifying God and encouraging others.
“And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”—Galatians 6:9-10
Finding Purpose in Your Spiritual Gifts
Spiritual gifts are the result of the Holy Spirit’s influence on your heart. They are given so that you may serve in a specific way to bless the Body of Christ. Therefore, identifying your spiritual gifts is a key component in the growth of the Church.
Paul made this clear to Timothy when he wrote…
- “Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership. Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.”—1 Timothy 4:14-15
Find encouragement today. Praise God for what He has promised to you—the manifestation of spiritual gifts! Start by discovering your Godly strengths today.