“But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit… to another the working of miracles…”—1 Corinthians 12:7-10 (emphasis added)
As a Believer, you have access to the spiritual gift of the working of miracles. The Holy Spirit distributes the gift of working miracles, according to His will. The same Spirit who hovered above the waters during creation, who released miracles in the early Church, and who raised Jesus from the dead is at work in the Church today.
- “But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.”—1 Corinthians 12:11 (emphasis added)
It is essential to understand that the Holy Spirit releases miracles in our lives today because it is part of our spiritual inheritance. Let’s take a closer look at the spiritual gift of the working of miracles, its purpose, and how it is activated in the lives of Believers today.
What is the Working of Miracles?
The working of miracles is a supernatural occurrence that goes beyond our human scope of comprehension. In other words, when someone is operating in the spiritual gift of the working of miracles, they have the ability—through the power of the Holy Spirit—to bend the natural laws of this world. Those who operate in the gift pull down the miracles from Heaven, so they manifest on Earth.
An Example of Working of Miracles in the Bible
A biblical example of the working of miracles is the story of Moses parting the Red Sea.
- “And the Lord said to Moses, ‘Why do you cry to Me? Tell the children of Israel to go forward. But lift up your rod, and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide it. And the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea.’”—Exodus 14:15-16
- “Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the Lord caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea into dry land, and the waters were divided. So the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea on the dry ground, and the waters were a wall to them on their right hand and on their left.”—Exodus 14:21-22
This is one of many examples in the Bible of the Spirit operating through a human vessel, releasing His supernatural abilities on Earth.
What is the Purpose of the Working of Miracles?
It is important to note that spiritual gifts are not earned; they are gifts from God. Yet, when stewarded well—used for God’s Kingdom purposes—they will grow and mature. The purpose of the working of miracles is to bring glory to God through the building up and edification of the Church.
- “Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.”—1 Corinthians 14:12
That being said, the working of miracles operates primarily to serve as a witness of God’s sovereign power to all of those within a Believers sphere of influence, as the story of Moses parting the Red Sea demonstrates.
- “Thus Israel saw the great work which the Lord had done in Egypt; so the people feared the Lord, and believed the Lord and His servant Moses.”—Exodus 14:31
Even the unbelieving Egyptians witnessed God’s might in the manifestation of a miracle.
The working of miracles serves as a reminder to the Church and the world that God is in control.
Does the Working of Miracles Operate with Other Gifts of the Spirit?
Yes. As with all spiritual gifts, the gift of the working of miracles will operate in conjunction with other gifts of the Spirit.
For instance, in the example of Moses parting the Red Sea, he had been given the gift of knowledge about what was going to happen. Then he operated in faith to display the working of miracles. As a result, God carried out divine deliverance through Him.
Later, in the book of Exodus, we read how the Spirit divinely ordains many gifts to work together for His glory and so that His people had a place to come into His presence in the tabernacle.
- “And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, to design artistic works, to work in gold, in silver, in bronze, in cutting jewels for setting, in carving wood, and to work in all manner of workmanship.”—Exodus 31:3-5
Remember this biblical principle when it comes to spiritual gifts: When we are faithful with little, He will give us much (see Luke 16:10).
How to Activate the Working of Miracles
To carry out the mantle of authority and operate in the gift of the working of miracles, we must be willing to seek the divine revelation and counsel of the Holy Spirit. God wants us to partner with Him in covenant understanding and power. It is then we can expect a release of miracles.
So then, take a moment to reflect upon your covenant relationship with the Lord.
This reflection time is intended to expose any obstacles that are knowingly or unknowingly standing in the way of a spiritual gift manifestation. After reflecting, it is time to ACT…
- A- Apply: Apply the truths that the Spirit revealed to you. Faithfully seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit and discern His wisdom through time spent in His presence and the Word every day. Repent for any doubt, unbelief, or rebellion He revealed to you.
- C- Change: Make the necessary changes in your life for your spiritual gift to manifest. Lean into God for strength and wisdom. Obey His instruction.
- T- Transform: Allow the Holy Spirit to transform your mind and increase your faith. Believe you have the power of God within you for the manifestation of spiritual gifts.
The working of miracles is a spiritual gift distributed by the Holy Spirit through Believers. This gift enables you to carry out miraculous feats thought to be impossible according to the natural laws of this world. The working of miracles is often manifested in sync with other spiritual gifts.
Believers are blessed with the working of miracles to serve as a witness of God’s supreme power and authority over all things.