- “But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit… to another prophecy…”—1 Corinthians 12:7-10 (emphasis added)
Did you know that, according to the Bible, if you are a born-again Believer, you have access to the spiritual gift of prophecy? In fact, scripture goes on to say that the Holy Spirit takes up permanent residence within you as part of your inheritance through your faith in Christ. He then distributes your spiritual gifts as He wills.
- “But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.”—1 Corinthians 12:11 (emphasis added)
Keep reading to understand what the gift of prophecy is, where it comes from, and the purpose it serves Believers and the Body of Christ.
What is the Gift of Prophecy?
Specifically, the gift of prophecy is when a Believer has a supernatural ability to discern, reveal, and proclaim the truth in God’s Word through the power of the Holy Spirit.
It is important to understand that the gift of prophecy is not “foretelling of the future” like many think. Instead, the gift of prophecy is an encouraging word and is meant to bring clarity to its recipients.
This gift is also not exclusively reserved for those that carry the title of a prophet in a church setting or ministry. Believers have the power to operate in the gift of prophecy, however many do not recognize this supernatural power within them.
An Example of the Gift of Prophecy in the Bible
A biblical example of a manifestation of the gift of prophecy is in the book of Acts. The apostle Peter discerns the dishonesty of Ananias. Peter then reveals it and proclaims God’s truth surrounding the situation.
- “But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. But Peter said, ‘Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.’”—Acts 5:1-4
Peter was able to discern, then remind Ananias of the truth of his situation. This word was given with the intention of steering him into righteousness.
What is the Purpose of the Gift of Prophecy?
The purpose of the gift of prophecy is to bring glory to God through the building up and edifying of Believers.
- “Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.”—1 Corinthians 14:12 (emphasis added)
This is done by revealing God’s holy character through the truths revealed to those operating in the gift of prophecy. Though the gift of prophecy often comes with redirection, it will always bring comfort and healing to those it is intended for.
Are you one of God’s chosen with the gift of prophecy, illuminating His truth? If so, know that He is faithful to equip you with all the spiritual tools necessary to carry out your spiritual assignment.
Does the Gift of Prophecy Work with Other Gifts of the Spirit?
Yes. Quite often, when someone is operating in the gift of prophecy, that gift is working in unison with other gifts of the Spirit. However, the gift of prophecy can also stand alone to do the important work of proclaiming God’s character to the world.
Ways to Activate the Gift of Prophecy
To carry out the prophetic work of the Holy Spirit, you must be willing to set aside your ideas and mindsets and align with God’s truth. In other words, you cannot come into agreement with doubt, fear, or unbelief and expect the gift of prophecy to manifest. Speaking truth requires bold confidence.
Are you ready to be the king and priest God has called you to be in this hour?
Carefully and prayerfully ask the Spirit to expose any obstacles that may be standing in the way of the gift of prophecy manifesting in your life. Then “ACT.”
- A- Apply: Apply the truths that are being revealed to you. Faithfully seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit and discern His wisdom through time spent in His presence. Finally, repent for anything that feels unresolved.
- C- Change: Make the necessary changes in your life that will allow your spiritual gift of prophecy to manifest. Ask God to reveal what, if anything, is standing in the way of your ability to operate in the gift of prophecy and be obedient to His instruction.
- T- Transform: Allow the Holy Spirit to nudge you into action that will transform your mind, will, and emotions.
The gift of prophecy is when a Believer is given the ability to supernaturally discern, reveal, and proclaim God’s truth to other Believers. This gift is meant to build up others and does not operate with the intent of condemnation.
The gift of prophecy can work in unison with other gifts, but quite often operates individually. The primary purpose of the gift of prophecy is to act as a trumpet declaring God’s truth and aligning Believers with His righteousness.
God is looking for those that will…
- Speak to Him
- Speak about Him
- Speak His truth to others
- Speak boldly
- Speak in love
To speak means to prophesy. What we speak is where we will go.
Psalm 89:26 says…
“He shall cry to Me, ‘You are my Father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.’”
Have you cried out to the Father today, asking Him to impart truth into your mind, will, and emotions, prophesying and declaring truth? He will then guide you into your purpose.
When you write down the Word of God and speak it out, it will transform you and those who hear it. God promises His Word will not return void (Isaiah 55:11)—you can hold Him to that promise!
When we prophesy, we glorify God by magnifying His Word, which builds up the faith for those in His Kingdom. Be encouraged today. The Bible says that we are to earnestly seek this spiritual gift, all for the purpose of furthering God’s Kingdom, not our own. Discover the purpose of the gift of prophecy and how to activate it in your life…