The poverty spirit is on the rise in our culture. It is a spirit that wants to rob you of God’s blessing and provision. This spirit deceives, manipulates, blinds, and discourages us from seeking the desires that God has placed on our hearts.
To break free from the poverty spirit, we must first recognize the characteristics of the spirit manifesting in our lives. Then we can repent of them. We have to be willing to admit that any of us can fall into the trap of the poverty spirit. Thoughts derived from this evil spirit can include the following…
- Thinking that lack makes us holy
- Thinking successful people used manipulation to rise to the top
- Thinking wealthy people are driven by greed
- Thinking we must hold tight to what we each have without living a life of generosity
These mindsets simply do not align with God’s Word.
Read Yeshua’s words…
“The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”—John 10:10
Read this psalm…
“Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who delights greatly in His commandments. His descendants will be mighty on earth; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Wealth and riches will be in his house, and his righteousness endures forever.”—Psalm 112:1-3
Does this sound like the poverty spirit is from the Lord? Unfortunately, many fail to recognize the attributes of the poverty spirit manifesting in their lives.
Click HERE to take a personal assessment to understand how the poverty spirit is influencing you.
Overcoming the Poverty Spirit | 3 Steps to Break Free
1. Recognize, acknowledge, and repent. The list above is not intended to make you feel shame or guilt. We have all had this ugly spirit attempt to rob us of abundant life. In fact, when you turn on your TV, you are immediately inundated with messages of…
- You need more.
- Your money is yours. Don’t give it away because it might run out.
- What you have isn’t enough.
These lies from the enemy lead to condemnation, not conviction. Satan’s lies are intended to create feelings of resentment, bitterness, or guilt. These are not messages of hope and abundance that are from the Lord.
If you recognize any attributes in either yourself or your family, it is best to deal with the poverty spirit by admitting it, confessing it, and repenting of it.
2. Come into agreement with the spirit of generosity. The best way to move forward after recognizing, acknowledging, and repenting of the poverty spirit is to come into agreement with God’s Word and the spirit of generosity.
The Holy Spirit never operates in a poverty spirit or lack. He only operates through generosity. He will not speak to you in words of lack. It is impossible for Him to communicate to you in anything other than a voice of gratitude, praise, and generosity.
What does that mean?
It means that God has planted dreams and desires in your heart. The enemy then tries to distort those dreams with lies. These lies tell you that you are greedy. Or perhaps the lies magnify your weaknesses in order to steal the promise of your vision for the future.
God is generous. He gave His only Son for you. When this fact is brought into perspective, it restores joy. You did not pay for your salvation—Jesus did. Ask the Lord to restore to you the joy of the gift you possess—eternal life and your name written in the books in Heaven.
“Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.”—Psalm 51:12
3. Pray, Praise, and Keep on Praying and Praising. Understand that the devil is prowling around, looking to devour. For this reason, especially at the beginning of your breakthrough, repeat the act of repenting and coming into agreement with God’s Word—multiple times a day, if necessary. Then praise Him for the work He is doing in your life—declare breakthroughs He is giving you. This creates a change occurring in your mind, will, and emotions. It cannot be done by your will alone, but only with the manifestation of the Holy Spirit’s operation in your life.
Here is an example of a prayer you can pray today…
“Father God, in the name of Yeshua, I know I am not reading this by mistake today. I’m reading it so that I may be delivered from the poverty spirit. Father God, I am convicted, not condemned, and I have a poverty spirit that has affected the way I think. I acknowledge that the poverty spirit has been on me and in my family line. I repent before you Lord and come out of agreement with it. By the power of Your blood and Your Holy Spirit in me, Lord, I dismantle it and bind it from attaching itself to me or my dependents.
“I speak Your blessings of prosperity over my family and myself for a thousand generations, according to your Word in Deuteronomy 7 and 28. In the Name of Yeshua, I cancel all poverty curses, hexes, and lies from my mind, will, and emotions. Thank you, Lord! I pray that my soul will process the Holy Spirit’s information through God’s Word as God’s voice. God, you and I are one. We are in unity.
“Holy Spirit, come now and bless me with the fire of Your Spirit that will burn out all lying spirits that have created doubt, unbelief, and false identities that do not belong to me. I am a new creation, and all things are made new in Yeshua. I thank You and praise You, Lord! I am available in this season for the double portion blessing to be promoted into my call. I say yes, Lord, to that call, and I seal it in Yeshua’s name. Amen.”
Open Doors of Prosperity and Close Doors of Poverty
There is one more step you can take to open doors. Think for a moment of one thing you spend your time and money on. If you were to fast from it, you could take the money otherwise spent and bless God’s Kingdom—activating it in your life.
Perhaps it’s the daily Starbucks you purchase or the Big Gulp you grab on your way home from work. Whatever it is, ask the Lord if that is something He wants you to fast from and then pour the blessings back into His Kingdom. Acting in alignment with the Holy Spirit opens doors.
Fasting is intended to be a reminder. It reminds your soul to realign every time you want to act in accordance with your old nature. Fasting reminds your spirit of God’s generosity. The act can discipline your mind, will, and emotions to come out of the mindset of lack and cancel the poverty spirit in your life. It reminds you to call on the name of the Lord and come into agreement with His Word.
You have a rich inheritance. You are blessed! Choose to renew your mind with the Word of God and restore the joy of your salvation!
Would you like prayer and freedom from the poverty spirit? Click HERE to schedule a personal prayer appointment!