The spirit of rejection is an oppressive spirit. It robs you of joy and peace. Oppression is defined as mental pressure or distress. Therefore, if the spirit of rejection is an oppressive spirit, you can think of it as a tactic by the enemy to push or press you down into the moods or emotions that block you from experiencing freedom and the presence of God’s love in your life.
Does this mean that God’s love has left you? The Bible says that God’s love will never fail (see Psalm 136). Therefore, you must be able to discern what you feel from what is true. This comes from understanding the strategies the enemy uses in the spiritual realm.
The Spirit of Rejection is A Lie from the Enemy
When you understand that the spirit of rejection lies about God’s love and your worth, you can begin the process of being set free. The enemy uses the stronghold of rejection in spiritual warfare, but the Word of God can work in your life to set you free.
- How the spirit of rejection is manifested in your life
- Where the spirit of rejection comes from
- How to battle the spirit of rejection with the guidance of the Holy Spirit
How the Spirit of Rejection is Manifested in Your Life
The spirit of rejection taunts you with feelings of worthlessness. It partners with the orphan spirit to make you feel unwanted.
This stronghold of rejection makes you question your identity in Christ Jesus and tells you that you are not fully adopted into God’s family. It battles against the spirit of sonship.
Seven Manifestations of the Spirit of Rejection
- You feel despondent. There seems to be no words of encouragement that can be spoken over you to set you free from this feeling of rejection.
- You feel left out of conversations as if you are an observer, unable to interact.
- You feel that life’s opportunities have passed you by, and it is too late to do anything about it.
- You feel rejected if you are not recognized for your accomplishments by those in authority.
- You feel the spirit of envy setting in as you begin comparing your situations with others.
- The feeling of envy and comparison partner with rejection and tell you that you were not given a fair chance in life.
- You feel the need to prove yourself while at the same time feeling you can never measure up.
Do any of these feelings resonate with you? Understand this: There is spiritual warfare happening in your mind, will, and emotions. Though this spiritual stronghold is cleaver, it does not compare to the power and love of Christ Jesus. It is His blood that was shed for you, and it will overcome the spirit of rejection.
“… And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.”—1 John 4:3-4 (emphasis added)
Where Does the Spirit of Rejection Come From?
To understand how the spirit of rejection operates in the lives of Believers, you must first realize that a battle is going on. You have already done this critical first step!
The fact that you are reading this right now speaks to the fact that you are seeking godly counsel to overcome the lies that oppress you.
These lies create depression, anxiety, doubt, and even addiction, but you have decided this will no longer operate in your life. You are choosing something different!
The spirit of rejection typically starts at an early age. The oppressive spirit looks for areas in your mind, will, and emotions—your soul—that desire love, acceptance, and self-worth.
God Designed You to Desire Love and Acceptance. The Enemy Distorts It.
It is God’s design to be the fulfillment of this desire. This desire goes back to the garden. However, the enemy distorts the desires of every human.
When God breathed life into Adam, He gave him these desires with the intent that Adam would find them in the Father’s love. But when sin entered into the world, these oppressive spirits subtly took the place of God’s love in the human heart.
Spirit of Rejection is Generational
Today, we can see that the spirit of rejection is often passed down in the family line through…
- Physical, emotional, and sexual abuse
- Drug use
- Repeated negative words and messages
- Broken marriages and families
- Inability to accept parental roles
It is through the generational curses that the oppressive spirits look for opportunities to attach to you.
We are each born with a desire to be loved. However, when we do not experience it the way God designed, the enemy will attempt to accuse you of these circumstances in your family line. Then he subtlety looks for opportunities for spiritual oppression to take root.
Understand that this all takes place in the spiritual realm. Ephesians 6 says that we are not in war with flesh and blood, but with the principalities, powers, and rulers of the darkness in heavenly places (see Ephesians 6:12).
Once you understand the strategy of the enemy and the spiritual realm you can…
- Understand how to activate the Word of God (see James 1:22-25).
- Use the Word of God to take down the enemy (see Ephesians 6:17).
- Be set free from the stronghold of rejection and live victoriously (see John 8:36).
Through the finished work of Christ Jesus on the cross, you can be victorious in the battle against the spirit of rejection. His blood was shed for you and still speaks on your behalf (see Hebrews 12:24).
How to Battle the Spirit of Rejection
John 10:10 tells us that these oppressive spirits from the enemy come to steal, kill, and destroy. They do this by persecuting you through your thoughts and bringing on fears and negative mindsets full of anxiety and depression.
- Begin by prayerfully asking the Holy Spirit to reveal the root cause of this oppressive spirit.
- Repent of the areas and times you have believed the spirit of rejection and orphan spirit over the spirit of sonship. Take each thought the Holy Spirit reveals to you captive. Renounce it.
- Declare your identity in Christ.
- Stay in the Word of God. Remember, in consistency lies the victory! Spend time with God daily and meditate, filling your mind with who He says you are.
- Thank God for all He has done and will do as He promises to set you free!
The spirit of sonship is battling for you against the spirit of rejection and the orphan spirit. You have a choice. Which one will you come into agreement with today?
Do you need prayer? We understand it isn’t easy to share your heart in times of pain.
This is why we’ve developed a way for you to submit your prayer requests HERE!