Do you battle feelings of loneliness? Do you struggle to believe that the Holy Spirit is with you wherever you go? We are born with a need to be connected—both with God and with others. When we are not connected to the One who gives us our purpose and identity, we can feel lonely even when we are around others.
You may be unaware of how you are attempting to fill a void with earthly things. Nonetheless, it’s a matter of shifting your mindset and focusing on the truth that the Holy Spirit is with you. The Holy Spirit is what connects you to the Father and the Son!
Therefore, you can see how your covenant relationship with God needs to be strengthened to connect with others. You are going to discover how Jesus gave you a Helper, and that the Holy Spirit is with you.
To do that, we first have to recognize the signs and lies of loneliness…
Feelings of Loneliness | Recognizing the Signs and Lies
- Sign--No zest for life
- Lie—There is no point in trying to connect with anyone; it’s all pointless.
- Sign—Guilt or shame, lack of identity
- Lie—If you are lonely, it must mean you aren’t worthy.
- Sign—“If only” statements run your thought life
- Lie—If only you had a deep connection with someone. Then you wouldn’t feel lonely.
- Sign—Thinking your feelings of loneliness are true
- Lie—If you feel lonely, then you must be alone. God is not with you.
Loneliness Impacts Your Physical and Emotional Health | That’s Why God Gave You the Holy Spirit!
Research shows that feelings of loneliness can impact your health and even cause premature death, high blood pressure, depression, and anxiety. God said it is not good for man to be alone—this is true!
But because we, in our Adamic mindsets, often attempt to fill the emptiness by unhealthy means, we end up with a feeling of loneliness deep within our souls. Thus, creating spiritual, emotional, and physical lack. It is for this reason God gave us the Holy Spirit.
“And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever—the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.”—John 14:16-18
Jesus had to die and rise again, but leave for a time in order to prepare a place for you. He understood that in order for you to carry out your purpose, you could not be left as an “orphan;” left alone to find your own way.
Christ knew that you would need help to find the path directed by God leading to righteousness and peace.
How do you allow God to direct your path? By understanding that you are not alone! The Holy Spirit is with you. In fact, God tells us not to rely on our own understanding or feelings. Instead…
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”—Proverbs 3:5-6
How to Shift Your Mindset from Loneliness to Connected | Seeking the Holy Spirit
- Acknowledge the feelings of loneliness. Jesus knows your struggle. He felt alone at times too (see Matthew 27:46). But He took on this feeling for you, giving you the Holy Spirit in its place. Now He wants you to claim your inheritance.
“In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.”—Ephesians 1:13-14
2. Renounce the feeling of loneliness. After you acknowledge and recognize this oppressive feeling, renounce it. This means to formally declare you are no longer in agreement with the lie that you are alone. It is a process of taking the thought captive and casting it out of your mind.
3. Agree with the Word of God that the Holy Spirit is with you. As John 14:17 says, “…He dwells in you and will be with you.” Meditate on and declare this passage when you are feeling lonely.
Repeat! Repeat! Repeat!
In order to continually walk in the freedom from loneliness, we must commit to repeating the process. This process is living a life of repentance, which is:
- understanding the negative mindsets that hold you back…
- deciding to turn from your way of thinking…
- and depending on the Holy Spirit to guide you.
“However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.”—John 16:13
The Holy Spirit guides you, connecting you directly to the Father and the Son. When you feel lonely, repeat the steps of acknowledging the lie, renouncing it, and declaring the truth.
The Holy Spirit is with you to satisfy your soul and strengthen you!
“The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; you shall be like a watered garden, and like spring of water, whose waters do not fail.”
Give yourself grace. This is a process, and God’s patience endures. He says that perseverance is a result of faith through trials. Through this trial, abundance will be released.
How can you trust this promised abundance (see John 10:10)? Because His Word says so…
“My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”—James 1:2-4 (emphasis added)
When you allow the Holy Spirit to guide you through the trial, you will be transformed, “perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”
The Key to Continuing to Grow | Connect with Other Believers!
Not only is the Holy Spirit with you, but there are Believers who will walk with you as well. We need encouragement through our journey. This is part of the purpose of the Body of Christ, to join you in fellowship to “stir up love and good works” (Hebrews 10:24).
Allowing the Holy Spirit to change your mindset from loneliness to connected and fulfilled is a good work of the Lord!
Are you looking for more encouragement to break free from loneliness?
Click HERE. It is time to believe with your whole heart that the Holy Spirit is with you and wants to reveal the Father’s plans for your life.