As Believers, we know that God’s Word matters. But why is that? What reasons would we give to someone who does not know the Lord? What verses of the Word teach about the importance of the Word itself?
Join us as we explore the need for God’s Word and how it is as accurate today as when it was written!
The Word of God. What Is It?
The Word of God is different from any other book that can be pulled off a shelf or put on a device.
It does more than provide us with facts.
It does more than give us historical information.
It restores our mental, physical, and spiritual health. It acts as a teacher, friend, father, and more. It cleanses away the dirt of our past and provides hope for the future.
These good things—and so many additional ones—are what God’s Word is and provides. Surely those who know the Lord intimately would agree on this…
But what does the Word say about itself? What things could we point out to someone who does not know God, or to someone who believes that He exists but not that His Word is fact?
Let us look at a FEW scriptures that tell us about the Word, its connection to God, and its power:
- “…you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”—2 Timothy 3:15-17
- “Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience. For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.”—Hebrews 4:11-13
- “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”—Psalm 119:105
- “How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word. With my whole heart I have sought You; oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.”—Psalm 119:9-11
- “Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was.”—James 1:21-24
- “But He said, ‘More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!’”—Luke 11:28
- “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.”—Isaiah 40:8
- “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.”—John 1:1-5
- “As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him.”—Psalm 18:30
- “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.”—Matthew 24:35
- “For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.”—Matthew 5:18
While these scriptures tell us what the Word is and is able to accomplish, this is just a sampling of the scriptures available to teach us, and others, why God’s Word is important. Why we are meant to believe the truth of it—from Genesis to Revelation—and not walk as if it is not relevant for today.
God’s Word is just as relevant and powerful today as it was a hundred years ago, two hundred, eight hundred… a thousand… and all the way back through time! It has and always will be relevant!
From the scriptures we have read above, and from many others that are found in God’s Word, we can better understand who God is and the role that His Word displays…
The scriptures tell us that the Word:
- Is from God
- Is God
- Is living
- Brings correction and instruction
- Equips us
- Can discern the intents of our heart to determine what is right and wrong
- Is necessary for Believers—to learn AND to follow
- Blesses those who believe and follow it
- Is eternal
- Is perfect
- Is true
- Is proven
- Will be accomplished
- Is all this and so much more!
There is not one thing in God’s Word that we can do without… because the Word IS God. Every word is valuable. It draws us near to Him and saves us. It reminds us of His love…
When we read the Word of God, we begin to see things in a new light.
Where there was death, despair, and pain, the Word of God turns that into life, hope, and joy! Where there was anger or hatred, the Word of God turns that into peace and love!
The Word of God is like a light in a dark room, revealing what was once hidden and bringing a future and a hope…
Yeshua is that future and hope. He was the Word made flesh, and He is the Word through all space and time.
By reading the Word, we can come to know Him more. It draws us to Him.
“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.”—John 1:14