Jesus, or Yeshua in Hebrew, was referred to as Son of David and the Seed of Abraham. But what do these names mean?
“Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying ‘Hosanna to the Son of David! “Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!” Hosanna in the highest!’” —Matthew 21:9
Son of David
The significance of Jesus’ family line was important. This title pointed to the fact that Yeshua was a descendant of David’s royal line, thus fulfilling prophecy.
Why was Yeshua given the title Son of David?
By the title, Son of David, Yeshua was given the authority to rule.
Yeshua, the Son of David, came to extend dominion and perpetuate peace. He came to secure the throne. He came to sustain the Kingdom. He came in great zeal to accomplish the task at hand.
Yeshua came bringing counsel. He came in might with eternity imprinted on His heart. He came as the Prince of Peace.
- “For a child is born to us, a son is given to us; dominion will rest on his shoulders, and he will be given the name Pele-Yo‘etz El Gibbor Avi-‘Ad Sar-Shalom [Wonder of a Counselor, Mighty God, Father of Eternity, Prince of Peace], in order to extend the dominion and perpetuate the peace of the throne and kingdom of David, to secure it and sustain it through justice and righteousness henceforth and forever. The zeal of Adonai-Tzva’ot will accomplish this.”—Isaiah 9:5,6 (CJB) (emphasis added)
Yeshua came bringing great gifts to those who are willing to receive Him. Receive His mercy and His grace in this season by applying His mantle on your shoulders…
- “The key of the house of David I will lay on his shoulder; so he shall open, and no one shall shut; and he shall shut, and no one shall open.”—Isaiah 22:22 (emphasis added)
- “Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying ‘Hosanna to the Son of David! “Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!” Hosanna in the highest!’”—Matthew 21:9 (emphasis added)
Hosanna, a Greek word, is often translated as “please save us!” And so, the multitudes shouted: “Please save us, Son of David!”
The men and women in the crowd waving branches, pressing in, and shouting knew the prophet’s words and knew the significance of the name they were hailing: “Son of David! Son of David! Please, save!”
He came to save. He came in mercy. Have you called on His name?
- “And that He raised Him from the dead, no more to return to corruption, He has spoken thus: ‘I will give you the sure mercies of David.’”—Acts 13:34 (emphasis added)
The lyrics in a verse from an early version of O Come, O Come Emmanuel reflect this truth…
“O come, Thou Key of David, come and open wide our heav’nly home; make safe the way that leads on high, and close the path to misery. Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.”
- A – Apply Acts 13:34, the sure mercies of David. Place His mantle upon your shoulders.
- C – Change your mindset from an orphan spirit to a child of a royal line.
- T – Transform as you accept and walk out the salvation given to you by your Savior.
Seed of Abraham
The Seed was promised at the beginning: “And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.”—Genesis 3:15
Why was Yeshua given the title Seed of Abraham?
This title pointed to the fact that Yeshua was the Messiah, the promised Seed, and a descendant of Abraham who will be blessed and will bring blessings.
Through Abraham’s seed, “all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” Yeshua was called the Seed of Abraham so that we could recognize Him. It is through the Messiah, that we are blessed and have access to covenant promise and inheritance.
- “Now the Lord had said to Abram: ‘Get out of your country, from your family and from your father’s house, to a land that I will show you. I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.’”—Genesis 12:1-3 (emphasis added)
- “On the same day, the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying: ‘To your descendants I have given this land…’”—Genesis 15:18 (emphasis added)
Abraham’s blessing was linked to the obedience of leaving. He had to leave behind the old in order to access the new blessing that God had for him and for “all the families of the earth.”
The Jewish people are the Seed of Abraham by blood, and we are the Seed of Abraham by faith—thus making One New Man or “one new humanity”—not to replace but to come together and be a part.
- “Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, ‘And to seeds,’ as of many, but as of one, ‘And to your Seed,’ who is Christ. And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, that it should make the promise of no effect. For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no longer of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise.”—Galatians 3:16-18 (emphasis added)
We are one family, one house, and One New Man—part of the Seed of Abraham. As one family, God desires that we take care of one another and do good in this season as always; especially giving priority to the household of faith.
- “Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”—Galatians 6:10 (emphasis added)
- A – Apply the promises given to you from the Seed.
- C – Change your mindset from one who has no inheritance to one who is a member of God’s family, a part of the One New Man.
- T – Transform by allowing the Spirit to witness to your spirit that you are a new creation, grafted into an inheritance that is eternal in Yeshua.
The Son of God
Why was Yeshua given the title Son of God?
The Son of God was the title for the Messianic King. Yeshua was fully God and fully man.
Yeshua, the Son of God, came for us, as we are part of the inheritance. How incredible to be part of the assignment and the purpose of the beloved Son of God!
- “I will declare the decree: The Lord has said to Me, ‘You are My Son, today I have begotten You. Ask of Me, and I will give You the nations for Your inheritance, and the ends of the earth for Your possession.’”—Psalm 2:7-8 (emphasis added)
He came to restore our hearts to the Father, the true God through whom we have eternal life. Yeshua came not only to reveal Himself but to ultimately reveal the Father to us—-the Son of God “made our understanding come alive” so that we could be restored through His sacrifice.
You may feel alone, rejected, abandoned, overwhelmed, unseen, not heard, lost, anxious, or angry. You may feel like you cannot keep doing the same thing over and over again.
Regardless of what you feel, it does not change the fact that the Son of God called you worthy of redemption and has given you the opportunity to experience “the One who is true.”
- “And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.”—1 John 5:20 (emphasis added)
- A – Apply 1 John 5:20. He has given you truth, that you may know Him, and have eternal life.
- C – Change your mindset from one who is far from the Father to one who is intimate and knows His heart, because you have Jesus.
- T – Transform to your position as one whom the Son of God has called worthy of redemption—regardless of how you feel. Allow this to sink deep within your soul and transform you from the inside out.
Yeshua’s lineage and heritage established Him even though He was unrecognized by many.
You are grafted into covenant greatness. This is the key to an abundant life; this is the key to abiding, asking, and receiving.
Your spiritual heritage is the key to accessing the supernatural aspect of your Father. Where Yeshua came from spoke to where He was going.
Jesus would not have been the Messiah if He did not come from the line of David, was the Seed of Abraham, or the Son of God.
Your roots are important too. They are the spiritual DNA that leads to covenant and the fulfillment of prophecy. Accept that you have been made new and the blood of Jesus cleanses your generational bloodlines!
Do you want to gain deeper revelation about the names of Jesus during this holiday season?
Then get our FREE download 25 Names of Jesus , and be filled with the light!