Jesus, or Yeshua in Hebrew, is referred to as Immanuel, Light of the World, and Good Shepherd. But what do these names mean? How do you apply them to your life?
“And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.”
“‘…teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’ Amen.”
God is with you. No matter what the day brings, He is there. No matter the challenges of the season, He is with you and He is for you. God is with you today, and He will be with you tomorrow.
Why was Yeshua given the title Immanuel?
Immanuel means “God with us.” Yeshua, the Lord Himself, left the throne above and came to be with you… He came to be with us.
The name, Immanuel, first appeared in Isaiah and again in Matthew when the prophecy of His coming was fulfilled.
- “Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.”—Isaiah 7:14 (emphasis added)
- “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior…”—Isaiah 43:2-3 (emphasis added)
- “So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: ‘Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,’ which is translated, ‘God with us.’”—Matthew 1:22-23 (emphasis added)
Immanuel is God with us, the Holy One of Israel, and our Savior. No matter the depth of the waters or the force of the mighty rushing rivers—God is with you. And you are with Him.
- A – Apply the truth of Isaiah 43:2-3. Know that your Savior, your Redeemer, is with you through the rushing waters and the scorching fire.
- C – Change from a mindset of loneliness to one that fully trusts in the presence of the Lord. Wash your mind with the Words of Zephaniah 3:17: “The Lord your God in your midst, the Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.”
- T – Transform as these truths of the Father’s love become etched in your heart. Experience the supernatural transformation He pours out. You are already new. God is always with you. Now it is time to be transformed!
The Light of the World
The light is God’s revelation. The light is a symbol of holiness, goodness, knowledge, and wisdom.
Why was Yeshua given the title Light of the World?
Yeshua came as the Light of the World. He also immediately reminds us that He came to be the light in our personal lives so that darkness cannot consume us…
- “… ‘I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.’”—John 8:12 (emphasis added)
David reminds us of the power of personal confession and application…
- “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”—Psalm 27:1 (emphasis added)
We access the guiding light when we follow Him. We do not access the light when we jump out ahead of Him or run to the side of Him, or when we venture out in our own strength.
Jesus lovingly reminds us that “he who follows Me shall… have the light of life.” If you are going through a dark time, we encourage you to ask yourself, “How did I get here?”
Did you rush ahead? Did you worry and wander? Regardless, when darkness threatens, a repentant heart is the first step to “stepping into the Light.” Walk in step with His light and instruction.
When we walk in alignment with God and His Word, we reflect Him, and we too become lights in the darkness…
- “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.”—Matthew 5:14 (emphasis added)
- A – Apply the Light to your life. Are there areas that need the Lord’s light and instruction?
- C – Change your mindset of fear to one of trust. You can trust the Light to direct your path.
- T – Transform as the Light washes over you to see more of God’s presence in your life. The Light is a warm embrace that illuminates the glory of the Lord, allowing you to move into new levels of faith.
The Good Shepherd
The Good Shepherd watches over, looks after, and guides His sheep.
Why was Yeshua given the title of the Good Shepherd?
Yeshua came with a Shepherd’s heart toward you—a heart to guide, protect, and provide for you.
- “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.”—Psalm 23:1-3 (emphasis added)
Perhaps we could read Psalm 23:1-3 this way: The Lord is my shepherd. I will not have lack. I will rest. I will be led. I will be restored.
These promises are for the sheep that stay with the Good Shepherd and stay under His protective wing and watchful eye.
The Good Shepherd has given us abundant life! He is the Good Shepherd and you are His sheep—sheep He deemed worthy of His very life. Greater love has no man than this…
- “… ‘I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.’”—John 10:10-11 (emphasis added)
- “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.”—John 15:13 (emphasis added)
- A – Apply the truth of John 15:13. The Good Shepherd laid down His life so that you might have abundance and find rest.
- C – Change from a thought life of lack to one of believing you are fully equipped. Psalm 23 says that you have no want in the Good Shepherd. He has fully provided for you in every way. Do you believe it?
- T – Transform as you meditate, proclaim, and pray the truth that you lack nothing in the Good Shepherd; you will experience more of His peace and love.
Yeshua came to be with you—Immanuel. He came to give you light so that you will be a reflection of Him to the world. He came to guide, protect, and give you rest and peace.
Sing praises to Him and thank Him for His unending, never-wavering love. His heart seeks you today.
Do you want to gain deeper revelation about the names of Jesus during this holiday season?
Then get our FREE download 25 Names of Jesus, and be filled with the light!