Have you ever experienced a spiritual roadblock in your purpose? Reading and meditating on Bible verses about the gifts of the Holy Spirit help to tear down roadblocks in your spiritual walk. You begin to understand the purposes of your gifts.
Understanding the spiritual gifts empower you to walk in the authority of your identity. That authority decrees you have the power to tear down any words or messages that set themselves up against God.
- “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,”—2 Corinthians 10:3-5
No matter where we are in our walk with the Lord, each of us have experienced spiritual roadblocks of various measures and degrees. But we gain victory over our spiritual obstacles when we are willing to turn to God’s Word for instruction and seek His purposes for spiritual gifts.
Today, we are going to look at the Bible verses about the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Let’s explore and unpack these verses about the Spirit’s gifts in a way that will help you step into the anointing that God has placed on your life and prepare you for the new era.
Bible Verses about the Gifts and Their Purposes
Operating within your spiritual gift can only be done when you know the purpose of receiving them.
- “… If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.”—1 Peter 4:11 (emphasis added)
Spiritual gifts are not given for the edification of the individual who receives the gift, though this is a supernatural byproduct. Rather, spiritual gifts are given so that God can be glorified through Christ in and by the Believer bearing the gift.
Another Bible verse about the gifts that reinforces this truth is …
- “But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:”—1 Corinthians 12:7 (emphasis added)
Simply put, the purpose of your spiritual gift is to build up, inspire, and support the Bride preparing for glory at Christ’s return.
Bible Verses about the Gifts and Operating in the Spirit
Now that you know the purpose of spiritual gifts, let’s see what God’s Word reveals about how Believers are to operate within their gifting to fulfill their purpose.
- “Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.”—1 Corinthians 12:3 (emphasis added)
The Bible says that when you put your faith in Jesus Christ (or Yeshua HaMashiach in Hebrew) and His finished work on the cross that His Spirit dwells within you. It is only through the Holy Spirit that you are able to carry out the assignments and blessings of your spiritual gifts.
Let’s look at a few more verses about the Spirit…
- “There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.”—1 Corinthians 12:4-6
- “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”—2 Timothy 1:7
- “As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God…”—1 Peter 4:10-11
These verses about the Spirit make it clear that God intends for His will to be carried out through His strength. In other words, as Believers, you only need to be obedient to your anointing and rely on the strength of the Holy Spirit to carry out the tasks God places before you.
The Relevancy of Bible Verses about the Gifts of the Spirit
Discovering and maturing your spiritual gifts are essential to the growth of the Body of Christ. The reminder that the apostle Paul gave to the Romans is still relevant today. We are all working parts of the same body and are made One New Man in Christ (see Ephesians 2:14-16).
- “For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.”—Romans 12:4-5
It is worth noting that Bible verses about the gifts of the Spirit are not confined to the New Testament. The Old Testament recorded Joel prophesying of a time when the Lord would pour out His Holy Spirit on Believers allowing them to carry out their spiritual gifts.
“And it shall come to pass afterward
that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh
your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
your old men shall dream dreams,
your young men shall see visions.
And also on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days.”—Joel 2:28-29
Your spiritual gift is your great commission. The time the Lord is speaking of in Joel 2 has not come and gone, but is upon us. The Church is in a new era, and God is calling us to act.
- “And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, ‘All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’ Amen.”—Matthew 28:18-20 (emphasis added)
It is quite clear that Jesus meant for His disciples to continue growing His church through their spiritual giftings until His triumphant return at the end of the age. Ultimately, this means that the Bible verses about the gifts are just as relevant today as they were 2,000 years ago.
Let these Bible verses about the gifts of the Spirit serve as a reminder that God is still imparting spiritual gifts to His disciples. The question is, how will you respond?
Discover your godly strengths and decide to activate your identity and purpose.