“But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit… to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,”—1 Corinthians 12:7-9 (emphasis added)
According to the Bible, as a born-again Believer, you have access to spiritual gifts. These gifts are distributed to each Believer from the Holy Spirit as part of their inheritance through the blood of Christ.
- “But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.”—1 Corinthians 12:11 (emphasis added)
One of those spiritual gifts is the gifts of healings. So let’s explore what those gifts look like, how they manifest, and what purpose they serve for Believers today.
What Are the Gifts of Healings?
The gifts of healings are a supernatural impartation of healing power assigned directly from God. It is a release of restoration from Heaven to Earth to align the spirit, soul, and body. These gifts are manifested either for personal healing or to transfer to another individual to facilitate their healing.
It is essential to recognize the plural use of both the word “gifts” and “healings.” This is the only gift mentioned in plural form because it is the only gift with several facets woven within the same gift. Because there are many ways that sickness can manifest in an individual, there are many gifts of healings.
An Example of the Gifts of Healings in the Bible
A biblical example of the gifts of healings is the bleeding woman who was healed when she touched the hem of Jesus’ garment.
- “Now a woman, having a flow of blood for twelve years, who had spent all her livelihood on physicians and could not be healed by any, came from behind and touched the border of His garment. And immediately her flow of blood stopped. And Jesus said, ‘Who touched Me?’ When all denied it, Peter and those with him said, ‘Master, the multitudes throng and press You, and You say, “Who touched Me?”’ But Jesus said, ‘Somebody touched Me, for I perceived power going out from Me.’”—Luke 8:43-46
Something to note: When the woman touched Jesus’ robe, she placed a demand on the healing she wanted to take place. In other words, it was not merely the touch that healed her. She operated in the gift of faith that healing would be released.
What is the Purpose of the Gifts of Healings?
As with all spiritual gifts, the purpose of the gifts of healings is to bring glory to God. This is done through the building up and edification of the Church.
- “Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.”—1 Corinthians 14:12
God has blessed Believers with the gifts of healings to serve as a witness of His restorative and healing power and authority. Therefore, as one who has been delivered by the blood of Jesus, you have access to the spiritual gifts of healings. You can use them to serve as a witness of God’s sovereign power.
Do the Gifts of Healings Work with Other Gifts of the Spirit?
Yes. The spiritual gifts of healings will always work in agreement with other gifts of the Spirit. The gifts typically work hand in hand with other spiritual gifts within the same person or group of people. Let’s return to the story of the bleeding woman.
- “Now when the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling; and falling down before Him, she declared to Him in the presence of all the people the reason she had touched Him and how she was healed immediately. And He said to her, ‘Daughter, be of good cheer; your faith has made you well. Go in peace.’”—Luke 8:47-48
In this story, Jesus is operating in the gifts of healings, and the woman was operating in the gift of faith. She was also operating in the gift of knowledge because she knew she was immediately healed. She then declared that reality to Jesus in the presence of all the people.
How Are the Gifts of Healings Manifested?
There are four ways that the gifts of healings can be manifested in the life of a Believer…
- When the Believer is operating in the gift of faith and repeatedly speaks the promises of God over themselves pertaining to their healing
- When the Believer enlists one or more friends or family members that are operating in the gift of faith to stand in the “faith gap” for them and act as an intercessor as both/all of you petition God for healing
- When a Believer has a spiritual leader who operates in the gifts of healings lay hands on them and declares healing in the name of Jesus
- When another Believer who operates in the gifts of healings releases healing into you through the power of the Holy Spirit
Faith is critical when it comes to operating in the gifts of healings. Believers must be led by faith, not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7). In other words, you cannot be double-minded and expect to release the gifts of healings (see James 1:6-8).
So then, consider asking the Lord to reveal places where double-mindedness has crept into your thought life.
Ways to Activate the Gifts of Healings
As you ask the Spirit of the Lord to expose any obstacles of double-mindedness, you create a path for spiritual gifts to be manifested in your life.
Then you can begin to activate them using ACT…
- A- Apply: Apply the truths that the Spirit revealed to you. Faithfully seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit and discern His wisdom through time spent in His presence. Repent of any doubt or double-mindedness.
- C- Change: Make the necessary changes in your life for gifts of healings to be manifested. Ask God to reveal what, if anything, is standing in the way of the manifestation and be obedient to His instruction.
- T- Transform: Allow the Holy Spirit to transform your faith through the manifestation of your spiritual gifts. Wash your mind in the truth that you walk by faith, not by sight. Stand firm in scriptures that proclaim healing, such as 1 Peter 2:24: “… by whose stripes you were healed.”
The gifts of healings are a multi-faceted spiritual gift released from the Holy Spirit to Believers as He wills. The gifts of healings manifest as a supernatural impartation of healing power and can be used for personal healing or the healing of others.
Like all spiritual gifts, the gifts of healings are given for edification and encouragement for the Body of Christ. This edification will then serve as a witness of God’s ultimate healing power and authority over all things.