Spiritual Warfare: What is it and How do I Know if I’m in a Spiritual Battle?
This is a resource for you to better understand spiritual warfare and discover how to battle in the heavenly courts through powerful prayer.
From this content, you will be able to…
- Apply. Apply what you learn from this resource and associated links below.
- Change. Change how you think about spiritual warfare.
- Transform. Allow the Spirit to transform you from a victim to a victor!
What is Spiritual Warfare?…
Spiritual warfare is a Christian concept of the ongoing fight against supernatural evil forces. Spiritual warfare is a battle we are all in. However, when we are part of a covenant relationship with the Lord, covered by the blood of Yeshua, we can be confident that God has fully equipped us to overcome these battles.
When we don’t understand spiritual warfare, it can be costly. We experience the attack, yet have no idea how to wield the weapons we’ve been given.
Always remember these 3 truths:
- Yeshua did not leave you as an orphan. He has come to you, equipping you for battle (John 14:18).
- You are more than an overcomer in Him (Romans 8:37-38).
- Spiritual warfare is real, and God gave you His armor so you will be successful (Ephesians 6:10-20).
The Enemy in Spiritual Warfare
The enemy, or adversary, is against anything that is good and from the Lord (John 8:44).
Yeshua said that the enemy is a thief. He comes to kill, steal, and destroy, but God came to give abundant life (John 10:10).
God has only good plans and peace for you.
“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the Lord, and I will bring you back from your captivity; I will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you, says the Lord, and I will bring you to the place from which I cause you to be carried away captive.”—Jeremiah 29:11-14
The enemy steals blessings, destroys your inheritance, and causes shame.
“So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the crawling locust, the consuming locust, and the chewing locust, My great army which I sent among you.”—Joel 2:25
God promises to defeat the enemy and restore all that was stolen!
“You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, who has dealt wondrously with you; and My people shall never be put to shame.”—Joel 2:26
These verses give an illustration of the spiritual battle that surrounds us today. The good news is that greater is He who lives within you than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4)!
The Enemy Wants to Keep You in the Dark about Spiritual Warfare
The enemy is continuously accusing the brethren (Revelation 12:10). Because he is deceitful and a liar, he wants to keep you in the dark about what he is accusing you of.
God’s word says to take no part of works of darkness, but instead expose them (Ephesians 5:11). Therefore, decree in the heavenly courts that the works of the enemy are exposed, and that you receive a verdict in your favor as you…
- Confessing means “to say the same as.” When you come before the Lord and come into agreement. It means that you believe and feel the same way about your transgressions as God does (1 John 1:9).
- Repent. Repentance means to change the mind and return to the Lord. Repent of any sin, known or unknown, that the adversary may be holding against you (Matthew 5:25-26).
- Forgive. Is there any unforgiveness in your heart? Unforgiveness blocks blessings but can be overturned in the Courts of Heaven when you submit yourself to the Lord (James 4:7).
Here’s How to Be Victorious in Spiritual Warfare…
Pray. Start by coming before the Lord, thanking Him for all He has done and promises to do in your life, according to His Word. Ask the Spirit to reveal the root of the battle. Then confess, repent, and forgive (as mentioned above.) Start decreeing and declaring God’s promises as they relate to that issue.
Click on the resources below. Below are questions and resources for you to position yourself in your identity as a co-heir with Christ (Romans 8:17) and claim the authority to trample upon the enemy (Luke 10:19).
Write down insights from God’s Word and the resources below. Keep a notebook and write down verses the Lord gives you to battle in the spirit. Write down insights the Spirit reveals to you as you begin to dismantle the lies and come into agreement with God’s Word.
Questions and Resources to Overcome Spiritual Warfare
How Do I Fight in Spiritual Warfare?
Prayer is a critical part of spiritual warfare. But sometimes it seems those prayers hit the ceiling. Take your battle to the Courts of Heaven. Discover more here.
Continue reading below for even more resources.
What Does the Bible Say about Spiritual Warfare
“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.”—Ephesians 6:10-13 (emphasis added)
- Ephesians 6 explains the full armor of God. Click here to better understand how to activate the armor of God.
- Preserve the blessings of the Lord. Understand the blessings and curses He outlined in His Word here.
- Strengthen yourself in the Word of God and understand His principles. Discover more here.
- The Bible also tells us we should pray for Israel and the peace of Jerusalem (Psalm 122:6). Here is a list of passages you can use to pray for those in Israel.
What is Spiritual Warfare Prayer?
- Has there ever been a time when you felt vulnerable or afraid? Discover God’s promised protection and how, in Him, we need not fear! Click here.
- In spiritual warfare, the enemy often pushes the spirit of fear. Commit to steadfast prayer. Get a free download here of biblical declarations to strengthen and protect during times of uncertainty.
- Praying Psalm 91 is a powerful way to decree God’s protection in the heavenly courts. Get a free printout that walks you through how to pray this powerful prayer here.
- Discover how to decree and declare God’s Words over your life. Learn about the power of the spoken Word
- Agree with the Lord by praying His Word. Get specific verses to pray over specific situations in your life here.
The Dark Spirits that Attack in Spiritual Warfare
- A religious spirit is a type of demonic spirit that influences a person, or group of people, to replace a genuine relationship with God with works and traditions. When people operate out of a religious spirit, they attempt to earn salvation. This evil spirit has established nonbiblical beliefs and customs for generations. Discover more about the religious spirit here.
- The Jezebel spirit is thought to only operate in women. However, it can be present in men as well. Discover more here.
- The religious spirit and Jezebel spirit often work side-by-side. Discover 40 signs that these spirits are on the attack here.
- Get freedom from the Jezebel spirit in the Courts of Heaven. Discover how here.
- The orphan spirit is another spirit that can attack. Here is a list of questions you can ask yourself to know if the orphan spirit is operating in your life.
- The spirit of rejection can attack and manifest in a Believer’s life. Discover where it comes from and how to battle it here.
- The poverty spirit is the work of the enemy. This spirit deceives, manipulates, blinds, and discourages us from seeking the desires that God has placed on our hearts. The spirit of poverty attacks in stages, is strategic, and crafty. Find the stages here.
- The poverty spirit intends to rob you of God’s blessing and provision. But you can break free from this spirit in Yeshua’s name. Get 3 steps to break free here.
- In Matthew 5:3, Jesus said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Get a better understanding of what Jesus meant here as He gave His Sermon on the Mount.
- A victim mentality is used by the orphan spirit and poverty spirit to hold you back, filling your mind with negativity, anger, frustration, bitterness, doubt, and unbelief. Overcome it by using the Word to counter the evil spirit’s lies. Learn more here.
How to Defend and Protect in Spiritual Warfare
Defending and protecting was mentioned above under the heading What is Spiritual Warfare Prayer. Here are some additional resources.
The Lord is your strength and shield. Protection and peace come from the love of God. Read a personal word from Curt Landry here.
In the midst of the pandemic, Dr. Tony Evans and Curt Landry discussed how to use God’s Word to battle. Read their thoughts and get resources here.
As Curt Landry has said many times… “Claiming your identity in Yeshua during spiritual warfare is critical to winning the battle.” Below are resources that help you discover your spiritual identity.
- Do you feel that your spiritual identity is being stolen? Click here.
- Want to better understand the spirit of sonship? Click here.
- You can do all things through your inheritance and faith in Christ. Here is a prayer we wrote during the Jubilee year and it still applies today, a decree over your identity.
- The enemy does not want you to find your Kingdom purpose. But the Lord tells you who you are in Yeshua, and a supernatural byproduct is understanding your purpose. Discover 3 biblical truths about understanding your identity here.
- Read Curt Landry’s personal word about the power of true identity here.
- In Yeshua, you’ve been made new, given a new spiritual DNA. It’s time to shed false labels. Here are 7 keys to revealing your spiritual DNA and shedding false labels.
- Reclaim your identity and discover your forgotten heritage. Get Curt Landry’s book Reclaiming Our Forgotten Heritage here.