New Year, New You!


Wait! Stop right there! Are you preparing to make a list of your New Year’s resolutions? 

I don’t want to discourage you in any way. Setting healthy goals is very important! However, according to, 40% of Americans make New Year’s resolutions, but only 8% of people actually achieve their set goals… leaving a whopping 92% of us who do not succeed.

That is a pretty disappointing statistic considering that a resolution is defined as “a firm decision to do something.” 

According to the most common resolutions include:

  • Lose Weight
  • Volunteer to Help Others
  • Quit Smoking
  • Get a Better Education
  • Get a Better Job
  • Save Money
  • Get Fit
  • Eat Healthy Food
  • Manage Stress
  • Manage Debt
  • Take a Trip
  • Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
  • Drink Less Alcohol

All of these are positive resolutions for a better lifestyle, but it takes commitment and dedication to actually achieve these goals.

Generally, we get excited about making life changes, but then get impatient with slow results. So, if you ARE already feeling impatient… I would encourage you to stay disciplined in your resolve and renew your mind with the Word of God. This has been the greatest tool in my own life for seeing results in areas where I’ve suffered defeat in the past.

“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”—James 1:2-4

Remember to take baby steps rather than going ‘cold turkey’ on January 1st.  If your goal is to “volunteer to help others,” why don’t you find a way that you can volunteer once or twice a month to start with?  If your goal is to “save money,” create a reasonable plan to start saving each week with a reachable first-quarter goal. newyears

Habakkuk 2:2, challenges us to write down our vision and make it plain. So, today, as you are preparing your list, I challenge you to write down attainable goals. Remember, your journey doesn’t need to look like anyone else’s.

Next, be sure to find an accountability partner whom you can trust. It helps to not choose someone who is currently struggling in the same area as you are—this way they can be strong in your greatest time of weakness.

Keep in-mind that if you fall off-track… don’t give up! Give yourself grace to pick yourself up, get back on-track, and regain the lost ground. One fall is not worth accepting complete failure! 

I would also like to challenge you to set at least one spiritual goal—i.e. pray more, quit gossiping, or increase your devotion or study time. You will be amazed at the difference it makes as you commit in small ways in one or more of these areas.

Now is the time to set those goals and move forward! I believe in you… and more importantly your heavenly Father believes in you. You are smart. You are talented. 

You are capable. And, you are worth it!

Let me pray for you. Father, God, I ask that as we each prepare to begin another year, that You will give us understanding into the areas that You would most like to see improvement. Allow us to forgive ourselves in areas of our lives where we have failed in the past, and give us greater resolve to move forward on a daily basis into new areas of deliverance. Thank you, Abba. We know that You are faithful to hold us steady, and we are looking forward to experiencing all of the new life-changes made manifest in and through us in this coming year. Amen!

May you be successful in all your goals! And may this New Year be your best year yet! 

Happy New Year, Friends!