In the Bible, honor means to esteem, value or show great respect. Your Godly Strength has allowed you to see the value in showing honor! Let’s take a deeper look at what Biblical honor is, how we show it, and who we show it to.
What does God say about honor?… A lot!
- “Therefore the Lord God of Israel says: ‘I said indeed that your house and the house of your father would walk before Me forever.’ But now the Lord says: ‘Far be it from Me; for those who honor Me I will honor, and those who despise Me shall be lightly esteemed.”─1 Samuel 2:30
- “Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.”─1 Peter 2:17
- “Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.” ─1 Timothy 1:17
- “’Honor your father and mother’—which is the first commandment with a promise— ‘so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.’” ─Ephesians 6:2-3
The essence of honoring God means to love Him with all our heart, all our soul, and with all our mind (see Matthew 22:37). This is the first and greatest commandment. Honoring God also means honoring those He has placed in our lives, as well as the roles in which He has placed them into. He instructs us to honor our parents, each other, and those in authority.
Honor is not…
God instructs us to honor all. However, this does not mean to esteem them higher than the Lord Himself. He also instructs us to honor and follow the rules of those in authority, be it government or the church. Again, this goes back to check it against the first and greatest commandment, love God above all else. If those in authority go against God’s law, God’s law is to be obeyed…
- “But Peter and John answered and said to them, ‘Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you more than to God, you judge.”─Acts 4:19
Just as God promises that “it may go well with you and that you enjoy long life” when we honor our parents; when we honor God above all else, God will reveal Himself to us! Life in turn goes well for us because we know His will. When honoring Him we abide in His love. We then are filled with His joy! Great and powerful blessings accompany the gift of honor!
We want to pray with you! We will pray that God gives you discernment in your gift of honor. We also want to pray that God strengthens this powerful gift and releases blessings and honor into your own life.