Have you ever heard the term “manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit” and wondered to yourself what it means? If so, you are not alone.
Many of us wander through doubt and uncertainty as we sift through and strive to understand some of the Bible’s tougher verses. Especially ones that some of us have been told are no longer relevant.
However, let us remember that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. The same Spirit that hovered above the waters during creation is the same Spirit that empowers Believers today. Therefore, the Lord God is still working miracles through and on behalf of His sons and daughters.
You can also be certain that every Believer has a gift and a purpose designed to expand the Church on Earth.
- “But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:”—1 Corinthians 12:7 (emphasis added)
Let us unravel this mystery by defining the word “manifestation.”
Manifestation is defined as an event, action, or object that clearly shows or embodies something, especially a theory or an abstract idea.
In other words, a manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit is when God’s Holy Spirit exposes His supernatural power through you for the good of His Kingdom glory.
What Are the Gifts of the Spirit?
Because God is eternal, there are endless manifestations of the gifts of the Spirit. Yet, the apostle Paul simplifies the manifestations for the church in Corinth by breaking them down into nine categories.
- The word of knowledge: Knowing something to be true that exceeds natural human intelligence.
- The word of wisdom: A supernatural wisdom that works within the parameters of the truth presented in God’s Word.
- The gift of prophecy: A direct Word from the Lord to build up others and to further His divine will.
- The gift of faith: Walking in stride with and being empowered by the Holy Spirit to accomplish miracles and wonders in His name.
- The gift of healing: A supernatural power to heal yourself and/or others.
- The gift of miracles: A supernatural ability to perform things unexplained by our natural world through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Discerning of spirits: A unique ability to see beyond our natural realm into the supernatural realm and help others experience breakthroughs from bondage caused by oppressing spirits.
- Speaking in tongues: A supernatural ability to pray and speak in a tongue or language that you do not naturally know.
- Interpreting tongues: Interpreting a tongue that is spoken either by yourself or another.
As you read this list, can you identify with any of them? No matter if there are several or few, your spiritual gifts are waiting to be activated and put into practice.
When discovering how your gift will manifest, it is important that you position your heart to receive your spiritual gift.
Think of it this way: Any time a gift is given in the natural realm, there is a moment when the person who receives it decides whether or not to unwrap it and use it. Spiritual gifts are no different. We have a choice to partner with the Spirit for their manifestation.
Faith | Receiving Your Spiritual Gift
God has given the gift. Now it’s up to you to decide whether or not you are going to activate your gift through the measure of faith that you have received.
- “For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.”—Romans 12:3 (emphasis added)
Paul then goes on to say ….
- “Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith;”—Romans 12:6 (emphasis added)
Simply put, a manifestation of the gifts is activated by your faith!
What happens when your faith begins to waver, and unbelief creeps in? Fear not! After the disciples were unable to perform the miracle of casting a demon out of a young boy, Jesus reminded them that they only needed faith the size of a mustard seed to move a mountain.
- “Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, ‘Why could we not cast it out?’ So Jesus said to them, ‘Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, “Move from here to there,” and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.’”—Matthew 17:19-20 (emphasis added)
This is great news because what was true then is true today. Your faith may be small now, but as you continue to put the manifestation of the gifts into practice, your faith will grow, and so will your giftings.
Obedience | Operating within Your Spiritual Gift
Just as faith activates your manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit, obedience allows your spiritual gift to mature.
Have you ever been prompted by the Holy Spirit to act, only to decide that what God was asking you to do could put you outside your comfort zone? So then, instead of approaching that person or freely raising your hands in praise and worship, you chose not to. Or maybe you decided you would act at a later time.
When we choose to ignore the prompting of the Holy Spirit, we are also choosing to block the manifestation of the gifts in our lives. Remember, even delayed obedience is disobedience.
Do not let complacency hinder the manifestation of the gifts God has for you. Move forward in faith and receive, activate, and operate in your spiritual gifts with the zeal Paul described in his letter to the Romans…
- “…not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.”—Romans 12:10-13
Be encouraged. You have an identity of authority through Christ. He has given you everything you will need to carry out your purpose through a manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit.
“Now may the God of peace… make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.”