Do You Struggle with the Feeling of Guilt?
Here’s How to Receive Encouragement and Break Free from Guilt
Breaking Free from Guilt | What is Guilt and How Does the Enemy Use it Against You?
Guilt is defined as having committed a specific or implied offense or crime. If you struggle with feelings of guilt, it is likely that the enemy is using a shaming and condemning voice to whisper lies in your ear.
Guilt arises when you start to agree with and believe your old identity—the old self—rather than your new identity. Jesus said that if you believe in Him, you are not condemned—not guilty. But if you do not believe you are already condemned.
Therefore, Satan attempts to take you back into your old behavior and mindsets—before you were under the blood and were condemned already—and accuse you again and again. He wants you to look at your past rather than to your future in Christ.
In the Bible, Satan is referenced to as an accuser. He brings charges against Believers in the spiritual realm.
- “… ‘Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down.’”—Revelation 12:10 (emphasis added)
By God’s grace and mercy, the blood of Jesus speaks a pardon and gives a verdict in your favor!
- “And we have come to Jesus who established a new covenant with His blood sprinkled upon the mercy seat; blood that continues to speak from heaven, ‘forgiveness,’ a better message than Abel’s blood that cries from the earth, ’justice.’”—Hebrews 12:24 (TPT)
The enemy wants you to receive justice and wrath—as one not under the blood. He uses your past situations, mindsets, or even the mistakes of those in your family against you in the Courts of Heaven.
But the Righteous Judge (Psalm 75:7) wants you to declare your covenant right, as one who has been brought near by the blood, to wave your adoption papers in the heavenly courts and proclaim, “I am free!” (Ephesians 2:13, John 8:36).
Difficult situations from you or your family’s past, can create a mindset of guilt. If the feeling of guilt is running your mind, will, and emotions, it is time to cancel this assignment from the enemy in your life.
You can cut it off. You overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of your testimony. Come under the blood and come into agreement with God’s Word, which speaks truth, life, and freedom—not guilt and condemnation.
“And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.”—Revelation 12:11
How to Break Free from the Guilt
Step 1: Pray. Start by asking God to reveal to you the source of your guilt. Pray for the Holy Spirit to show you the lies and past situations that the enemy uses against you in your circumstances.
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”—James 1:5
Once the Holy Spirit begins to reveal how you are made new in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17) and—under the blood of Jesus—your name is recorded in the books of Heaven (Luke 10:20), renounce the guilt and condemnation. Come out of agreement with it and come into agreement with your freedom in Christ.
“Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.”—John 8:36
Step 2: Click on the resources below. We’ve provided a list of resources for you to use that will begin revealing the guarantee of freedom in Christ and cancel the assignment of guilt in your life.
“Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.”—2 Corinthians 1:21-22
Step 3: Write down insights from the resources. As you go through the various resources, write down what God is revealing to you. Speak the verses God places in front of you. Ask the Spirit to guide you into the next stage of healing.
- Commit to…
- Repenting of agreeing with guilt. This takes time. When you have a mindset of guilt that has been in the driver seat of your emotions for years, it can be difficult to see every area it has impacted. The Spirit reveals these areas according to His timetable. Be patient. Whenever you feel guilty, or realize it is driving your behavior and thoughts, stop. Take the thought captive, repent of it, and align your thought with God’s Word (2 Corinthians 10:5).
- Forgiving others and yourself. We’ve all been hurt by others. We’ve all said shaming words to ourselves that have multiplied into guilt. It is time you choose to forgive others and yourself for the mistakes made and the pain they have caused. Forgiveness leads to freedom.
Declaring God’s promises and freedom over your life. Repentance and forgives creates room for God’s promises of freedom to take root in your soul. Your mind, will, and emotions will shift to things above and transform you. Meditate on those things (Philippians 4:8, Colossians 3:2).
Resources to Help You Break Free from Guilt
- Walking in Freedom | The Key is Forgiveness—Forgiveness is such an important key to walking in freedom as a born-again Believer in Christ. I think most of us understand this in theory, but many times we do not actually apply the principle as fact.
What do I mean? Let’s first take a look at this red-letter parable… Read the Full Article HERE…
- The Power of True Identity—From the Desk of Curt Landry… For more than 20 years, I’ve contemplated, studied, and prayed over the scripture Matthew 7:22-23. How does this scripture reveal our true identity? Is this a Word for the Church today to understand how the Jewish roots of the faith point to her true identity? Read the Full Article HERE…
- Holy Spirit Series | No Condemnation!— “There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.”—Romans 8:1
Paul’s words here are powerful! Do you believe them? This authoritative declaration of NO CONDEMNATION comes to us in Yeshua—Jesus—our Messiah! As Believers, we have a verdict of Not Guilty; Not Condemned! Paul wants to use logic to prove God’s declaration. Read the Full Article HERE…
- Discerning the Voice of God | Conviction vs Condemnation— Every Believer is faced with challenges. When it comes to discerning the voice of God, many of us can feel lost.
The key to understanding the difference between conviction and condemnation is to use the Holy Spirit to guide you. They enemy’s goal is to disguise condemnation as conviction so that you will doubt the peaceful voice of God. Read the Full Article HERE…
- Overcoming the Victim Mentality | What Is It and How to Shift Your Mindset— Overcoming the victim mentality is accomplished through a covenant relationship with the Lord by using the Word to counter every lie of the enemy.
The victim mentality is used by the orphan spirit and the poverty spirit to hold you back and fill your mind with negativity, anger, frustration, bitterness, doubt, and unbelief. Read the Full Article HERE…
Words of Encouragement When You Feel Guilty
- “Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.”—2 Corinthians 3:17
- “Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.”—Galatians 5:1
- “… according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him.”—Ephesians 3:11-12
- “And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.”—Galatians 3:29
From the verses above, you can see that your freedom is granted by the blood of Jesus! If you are struggling with guilt, reclaim and declare your freedom. Remind yourself, and the enemy, that God is your Righteous Judge and the blood of Jesus speaks on your behalf.
Decide today to trade your guilt for freedom, protection, and confidence. Believe the Lord has removed your transgressions!
“And I will walk at liberty, for I seek Your precepts.”—Psalm 119:45
- Don’t forget to check out the resources above. Our mission is to help you grow stronger in the Lord by embracing the inheritance you have as a spiritual descendant of Abraham through Jesus Christ (Yeshua in Hebrew).
- God has given you an abundant life. Isn’t it time you reclaim it? Don’t go through another day listening to the enemy. Start filling your mind with the truth (Philippians 4:8).
I have more questions. Where do I go?
Transform Your Weaknesses— Uncover biblical truth that will empower you to overcome your weaknesses and glorify God.
One New Man Guide— Understand the message of the One New Man (Ephesians 2:14-16). It takes you deep into the Hebraic roots of your faith, revealing the inheritance you have in Christ.
LIVE Stream— Receive the encouragement you need every week through our LIVE Stream. The messages will give you direction and provide prophetic insights in the ways you should go (Psalm 32:8-10).
1-on-1 Prayer with Our Prayer Team
If you would like prayer, please schedule a 1-on-1 personal prayer appointment with our prayer team and be encouraged as you receive direction and revelation.