“And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience…”—Ephesians 2:1-2
This year (2018), we observed Tisha B’Av (the 9th of Av) on July 21st and 22nd. Tisha B’Av is honored because it commemorates multiple important events, including the destruction of both the First and Second Temples in 421 BCE and 70 CE, consecutively.
The three-week period before Tisha B’Av is known as the Dire Straits. The time of the Dire Straits is a time-period set aside to repent and ask for forgiveness for the sins of our fathers as Daniel did in Daniel 9:3-19.
Five great catastrophes occurred in biblical history during the 17th of Tammuz (the first day of the Dire Straits according to the Hebrew calendar):
- Moses destroyed the tablets of the Ten Commandments at the foot of Mount Sinai (Exodus 32).
- In 586 BCE, the daily offerings in the First Temple were suspended during the beginning of the siege of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar’s army. On the 9th of Av, they set fire to the Holy Temple.
- In 69 CE the walls of Jerusalem were breached by the Roman Empire, marking the beginning of the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 CE.
- Prior to the Bar Kokhba Revolt, the Roman military leader, Apostamos, burned a Torah scroll and set a standard for burning Jewish books and Torah scrolls throughout the world for centuries.
- An idolatrous image was placed in the Holy Temple by opposing forces as an act of desecration.
Save the dates and join us for our upcoming Fall Feasts events!
What is the warning here?
In this annual three-week period, we need to carefully guard against the enemy attempting to destroy our spiritual temples and our spiritual walks. We need to be on-guard knowing that he is going to try to defile us, seeking to devour. Therefore, it is important to know that our tempers and choices will be under fire during this time; at this time of the year, we need to be spiritually sober, aware, and awake.
Did you experience any spiritual or physical destruction during the Dire Straits this year? Did you sense an intensification in the battle? The reason that I am sharing this with you after the period of Dire Straits, is to encourage you to look back and recognize the pattern of destruction, and then align your life with the biblical cycles of God—and there is no better time to do so than during the upcoming fall feasts and the start of a new biblical year, 5779.
The negative history of the Dire Straits tries to repeat itself during this season. However, most of the Church is walking around unaware of the history that surrounds this season, even though many of us can attest to repeatedly experiencing a tumultuous season during these weeks.
Recorded below is an abbreviated list of many of the historical accounts of demonic activity recorded on Tisha B’Av:
- 2448/1312 BCE Spies return from 40 days in Israel with evil reports of the Land of Israel. Jewish people cry in despair, give up hope of entering the Land of Israel.
- 3340/421 BCE Destruction of First Temple by the Babylonians, under Nebuchadnezzar. About 100,000 Jews killed during the invasion. Exile of remaining tribes in the southern kingdom to Babylon and Persia.
- 3830/70 CE Destruction of Second Temple by Romans, under Titus. 2,500,000 Jews die because of war, famine, and disease; 1,000,000 Jews exiled to all parts of the Roman Empire; 100,000 Jews sold as slaves by Romans. More killed and tortured in gladiatorial “games” and pagan celebrations.
- 3892/132 CE Bar Kochba revolt crushed. Betar destroyed – over 100,000 killed.
- 3893/133 CE Turnus Rufus plows the Temple and builds the city of Aelia Capitolina on Jerusalem.
- 4855/1095 CE The First Crusade is declared by Pope Urban II. 10,000 Jews killed in the first month of Crusade, bringing further death and destruction to thousands of Jews.
- 5050/1290 CE Jews expelled from England, pogroms, and confiscation of books and property.
- 5252/1492 CE Inquisition in Spain and Portugal culminates in the expulsion of the Jews from the Iberian Peninsula. Families separated, many die by drowning.
- 5674/1914 CE First World War begins.
- 5702/1942 CE Deportations from Warsaw Ghetto to the Treblinka concentration camp begin.
- 5749/1989 CE Iraq walks out of talks with Kuwait.
- 5754/1994 CE The deadly bombing of the AMIA building (the Jewish community center in Buenos Aires, Argentina), which killed 86 people and wounded some 300 others.
- 5765/2005 CE Gush Katif expulsion.
(list compiled by Ohr Somayach Institutions, www.ohr.edu)
When we enter these seasons understanding our spiritual roots and the pattern of the biblical calendar we are forewarned, forearmed, and prepared for the battle, as well as the harvest.
May it not be said of us: “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge…”—Hosea 4:6
Thank you for supporting Curt Landry Ministries. Together we are a voice of truth against the many voices of deception. Your gifts enable us to do the little things—like provide nursing care for Yafim (one of our Holocaust survivors), so that he could return to his apartment to recover from surgery; or like one of the latest big things—like launching a brand new safe house project in Tel Aviv for young boys serving in the IDF, that opened July 2018!
Your prayers and financial gifts make this possible. This is YOUR ministry. This is YOUR voice.
May we all prepare to enter the new biblical year of 5779 aware and awake! Next time I write I will be sharing a prophetic word for the upcoming New Year!
My spirit overflows with anticipation… Shalom!
Curt and Christie Landry
Founders, Curt Landry Ministries