In the first part of our series, Path of Life [Click Here], we discussed how to activate God’s peaceful presence in your life. What happens when you are noticing that your joy and peace are starting to plummet? When we decide to establish God’s principles to our everyday lives, we begin to experience Him in new ways. However, we can easily fall back into old habits and start to believe in the enemy’s lies that tell us the things of this world will bring us joy. This leaves us once again with downcast hearts.
If you notice your joy and peace starting to sink, this is a time to take up your sword of the Spirit, God’s Word, and proclaim His truth over your life!
You have experienced God’s peace and joy. Then something happens… life! Your spouse says something. Your co-worker does something. Your kids are disobedient. You find anger, resentment and bitterness starting to creep back into your thoughts. You begin to think of how you dealt with these situations in the past and are tempted to go back to those same habits again.
If we fall back into habits that are not of God, our plans will end in destruction. However, when we set our minds and hearts on things above, the peace and joy of the LORD will follow.
- “Deceit is in the hearts of those who plot evil, but those who promote peace have joy.”—Proverbs 12:20
Here are a few practical ways that you can reactivate a peaceful heart…
- Praise God for who He is! This is key. When you praise God, His truth dwells in you. He begins to soften your heart; therefore you learn more about who He is and His will for your life.
- “Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.”—Colossians 3:16
- Proclaim who you are in Christ! Meditate on how God has made you new and spiritually alive.
- I am forgiven—Ephesians 1:7-8
- I am complete—Colossians 2:9-10
- I am secure—Romans 8:31-39
- I am being transformed—2 Corinthians 3:18
- I am an heir of God—Romans 8:17
- Proclaim truth! Speak and think God’s truth over your life.
- “…the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.”—1 John 4:4
- “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”—Lamentations 3:22-23
- “The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad.”—Psalm 118:24
Remember… the enemy must flee in the presence of God. Be on guard, as the enemy will prowl around looking for ways to steal your joy again. He will remind you of bitterness or anger you once felt, but because you are a new creation in Christ, you have the power and authority to cast those thoughts far away and take refuge in the LORD. You can rest assured in knowing that He is your refuge.
As you praise God for who He is, proclaim who you are in Christ, and proclaim and invite His truth into your heart, peace will begin to wash over you, body, soul and spirit. Your circumstances may not change immediately, however your joy and peace will begin to overflow as your mind is renewed and your heart is transformed.